Mustang This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

MUSTANG REVIEW
Every year 15 million girls get married off before the age of 18, that’s 1 girl  every 2 seconds. Director and co-writer Deniz Gaze Erguven did such a fantastic job with the movie Mustang, a 2015 Turkish Film. The movie focuses on the lives of 5 orphan girls: Lale, Nur, Ece, Selma, and Sonay who live with their grandmother and uncle. Lale, the youngest of the five sisters and the protagonist in the movie sees “everything changed in a blink of an eye”(movie quote).
Mustang, a PG-13 movie that contains some adult language and touches on mature subjects and religious beliefs remains by far the greatest foreign language movie I have ever seen. Throughout the movie the scenery takes place in a small village in Turkey, where Muslim residents live and (women) gossip. One day a woman in the village saw the girls playing a harmless game with a couple of schoolboys but twists the truth to the grandmother. Furious, both grandmother and uncle hit the 5 girls for acting like “hustlers”. White walls and gates surround the house leaving the girls with no chance of fleeing the “wife factory” as Lale calls it. No matter how hard you stare outside the window or with bare hands try to loosen the bars that reach the sky escaping is fatal. “Home” can no longer be called home but a prison for the girls, slowly-yanking their life away from them leaving someone else to control it. The grandmother and uncle additionally make the girls conceal themselves, learn to cook, clean, and maintain the house in which they live in. The time has come (in this case age 15) where some of the girls are married off however, Lale being fed up with everything that has happened in the past couple of months surreptitiously plans to stop it and escape before it is too late.
The movie Mustang continues to be a movie I believe every girl needs to watch, it has made me and will make you cry, laugh, and never forget. The movie really shows the perpetual love and relationship between the 5 sisters and how close they remain like in the movie The Virgin Suicides and movie Pride and Prejudice. Mustang demonstrates female empowerment even through the youngest girl Lale. It signifies that even in the midst of dusk you can prevail.

TessD.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 9:09 pm
Hey DEBYM, your review was really cool. Mustang sounds like a really good movie. Ps, I LOVE The Selection Series and Red Queen series too. (Still have to finish Kings Cage. I gave up on it at the end of the year ;) -TessD

DEBYM replied...
today at 2:55 pm
Hey Tess thx and I actually just finished Kings Cage like last week

TessD.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 7:19 pm
Good for you. I have to start it from the beginning.