Sleeping Beauty | Teen Ink

Sleeping Beauty

In the movie Sleeping Beauty, by Walt Disney, the relationship between the princess Aurora and
the three good witches evolves and shifts over the course of the movie. As the movie evolves and shifts,
it depicts the lengths that the witches will go to for Aurora. Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather – the three
good witches – go throughout the movie displaying deed after deed that show how they feel about
Aurora. As the movie progresses it can quickly be seen that these witches are willing to essentially do
anything to protect and/or help Aurora. From saving Aurora’s capture and death brought on by a curse,
to secluding her for her own safety, to the simplicity of just throwing her a special sixteenth birthday
party, these beloved witches have given Aurora all the reasons in the world to show the care to them
that they have shown to her. It is because of their undeniable endearment for Aurora and this evolving
relationship between each of them that Aurora is able to continue her journey in life.

As the movie really starts to develop the plot, it is Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather who
ultimately give up their whole life for Aurora. They give up their magic for her, practically giving up their
whole being; it's what makes them who they are. Witches giving up their magic is like humans giving up
opposable thumbs. Moreover, by giving up their magic, they vow to protect Aurora from Maleficent –
the evil witch – and her henchman. This shows their love and care for Aurora.

Walt Disney's movie Sleeping Beauty depicts "the three witches – Flora, Fauna, and
Merryweather – sneaking off to a secluded area in a forest to live and conceal themselves from
Maleficent, with Aurora until her sixteenth birthday arrived" (Clark). These three good witches of the
movie seem to go to unimaginable lengths to help protect this cursed princess, Aurora. The lengths that
they go to appear to evolve – and shift – as the movie progresses. When the witches go through these
feats and to these lengths, they demonstrate their devotion and love for Aurora. Love and relationships
can often be shown and perceived in many ways. As this movie displays, you do as much as you can to
help the people you love and care about when they are in trouble. 

I had to do this for a sophmore English essay.