Beauty and the Beast | Teen Ink

Beauty and the Beast

April 16, 2017
By Anonymous

 Tale as old as time, Disney had once again succeeded in remaking the epic animated film into the live action one. Accompanied with splendid music, the movie’s original soundtrack leaves the audience with an aftertaste that is refreshing and penetrating. Though there's lack of tension in the plots for audiences to impels, it is still an enjoyable feast to most of the nostalgic movie lovers.
   

The story opens with a witch's curse, which transformed a handsome prince (Dan Steven) into a hideous beast and his servants into various households. It was not until he learned to love another and earned her love before the last pedal of rose fell did the curse removed. Years after, a village girl named Belle (Emma Watson) found that her father was imprisoned in the castle that lived the beast as a results of stealing a rose for Belle in the Beast’s garden. She paid the price for saving his father, and therefore got herself imprisoned instead. However, as she moved around the castle and discovered the secrets of the Beast, she was scared away. On her route of escape, she was attacked by several coyotes that tried to eat her. Later, the coyotes were beaten down by the Beast, whereas him suffered from serious injury. Then, Belle took him back to the castle and cured him. As time went by, they developed friendship as they shared common interest, reading. One day, Belle asked for permission to leave the castle and visit her father with a promise to come back. However, there was only villagers mobbing the Beast’s castle after. Devastated and disappointed, the Beast was readied to his death until he saw Belle returned. At last, he got defeated and lost his breath as the last petal of the rose fell down to the ground, and at that moment, Belle truly realized that she really cared about him and loved him. The witch removed the curse as Belle kissed the Beast on the forehead and the Beast was a handsome prince again. They lived happily ever after.
   

With more depth and more details, the film is not only telling the story between the beauty and the beast, but also introducing the value of our time that worth giving a second thought.
   

Belle, a young gorgeous girl in the village who loves to read and always brave enough to try new things that this small town people wouldn’t dare to. By teaching the younger girl to read, she is somehow resembled to the education activist nowadays, encouraging girls to develop their girl power and ask them to be brave. Comparing with other fairy tales’ main characters, such as Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, Belle is not just another princess who lived happily ever after with the her prince charming. In fact, Belle is just in the reverse. She is   courageous ,and not afraid to embrace the challenges in her life. She is exactly the girl that I longed to be.
   

Another controversial character is Le Fou (Josh Gad), the side kick of Gaston (Luke Evans), who one day dreams of kissing Gaston, the other day wants to be as strong as Gaston. Being the first ever gay character in the Disney’s movie, many critics regarded it as making unnecessary political statement. However, in my opinion, this film features more diversity than just this highly-talked Le Fou. At the end of movie, all the servants of the Beast had returned to human, and they made a huge reunion. And the interesting detail is, they are all interracial-couples, the celebration of everybody’s individuality promotes a new concept of ideality that we should learn to accept in the 21st century.
   

Moreover, another highlight of this movie is the songs. Since half of the movie is accompanied with music, how we feel to the certain frames of the movie is being well registered into the music. Therefore, as we listen to the music again, we would experience the familiar feeling that we had once feel tearful for, cheerful for and enthusiastic for. And as you pay more attention to the style of the music, it is not hard to find that with the calmly rhythm, the composer manage to make it sounds romantic instead of making modern. Inviting the two experienced talented vocal artist to cover some of the songs, Emma Thompson and Celine Dion, they make the classic even more classical.
   

Overall, it is Disney’s movie, a movie that tells you there’s hope no matter what. Go to theaters and get yourself aboard this musical journey, get ready to enjoy and relax, to be touched and to be moved.


The author's comments:

    The movie version of Beauty and the Beast is not just re-telling the classic fairy tales, it is also sharing the important values nowadays. And I hope people will reconsider what these values mean to us after reading my article.