La La Land | Teen Ink

La La Land

By nogaud2 BRONZE, Billings, Montana
nogaud2 BRONZE, Billings, Montana

Are you a lover of jazz? Neither am I, but the charming Ryan Gosling and impressive Emma Stone never disappoint in this retro musical full of laughter, plot-twists, sadness, and jaw-dropping music solos. This film takes you back to modern-day sunny California, but the fashion and music make you feel immersed in the 60s. The musical, La La Land, will draw the definitive line between music fanatics and music-tolerators as you're taken on a crazy journey through life as an artist in California.

Sebastian (Gosling), a struggling jazz pianist, crosses paths multiple times in the most unlikely of ways with Mia (Stone), an aspiring actress. They're drawn together for reasons unknown, and as their indifference for one another diminishes, their support and love for each other grows. Mia and Sebastian hold each other accountable for achieving their dreams and aspirations, and the different facets of their relationship are shown throughout the film as events unfold and take place. Will Mia and Sebastian realize the extent of their romantic love or are they merely companions helping each other through life?

However, the thrilling dance numbers, hypnotizing scores, and breath-taking scenes of California are not the only perks to seeing this movie. A guest actor,  the character Keith, played by John Legend, also makes an appearance as head-man of a performing jazz band. This romantic, musical drama gives us a chance to preview Legend's own work, "Start a Fire" which has already become a big hit. La La Land has broken the record for winning the most Golden Globes for a film and its very own, Emma Stone, won Best Actress for her performance as Mia Dolan. La La Land is not a movie that comes along on a regular basis so don't miss your chance to see some of America's most loved actors perform in this brilliant musical experience!