Ghostbusters (2016) | Teen Ink

Ghostbusters (2016)

By forgettingtohuman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
forgettingtohuman SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Sequels usually have a bad reputation, but Ghostbusters 3 takes that stereotype and shoves it in the Patriarchy. Yes, many years later we have a more modern sequel slaying the theatres. I went to see this the day before my birthday with a few friends and the movie left me in awe. Ghostbusters 3 makes women into the saviours, instead of the mother, the nurse, or supporting roles.

Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters debuted on July 11, 2016 and immediately got tons of backlash because the protagonists Erin Gilbert (Kristen Wiig), Abby Yates (Melissa McCarthy), Jillian Holtzman (Kate McKinnon) and Patty Tolan (Leslie Jones) are all women. Due to this everyone highly disagreed with the casting, in response the movie got many negative reviews. Many of the comments were pointing out that the main characters are now women.

Following a ghost invasion of Manhattan, paranormal scientists Erin Gilbert and Abby Yates, nuclear engineer Jillian Holtzmann, and subway worker Patty Tolan unite to stop the spirit threat. Abby Yates and Erin Gilbert were former colleagues who worked together in previous years to create a book proving the paranormal world. Years later. On the contrary to the previous movie, Ghostbusters 3 is more of a light hearted comedy with better graphics. Each character seemed to fit perfectly with one another and the cast had great chemistry. Get it? Chemistry, because they’re scientists.

Although the conflict is obvious there is an underlying problem. This problem is society. Society makes many attempts to break the Ghostbuster’s spirits. Even the mayor called them phonies and kept on trying to make them admit they were faking it even though he knew they weren’t. Despite these issues they keep ghosthunting and saving the world all the while proving it wrong. That is what I love most about the movie, I love how they never gave up even though the whole city was against them.

I would recommend this movie to everyone, but especially people who did not watch it and hated it just because of the media. I would hope when they watch it they see past the point that the main characters are women. In hopes that they can see through their misogynistic ways and enjoy this reboot. I probably wouldn’t recommend it to ghosts because it may trigger them.