Rambo: First Blood | Teen Ink

Rambo: First Blood

January 24, 2017
By Jackd SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Jackd SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

David Morrell’s “Rambo:First Blood”

A very decorated Vietnam war veteran coming home to...Nothing. “Rambo; First blood” is the perfect thriller/ historical fiction. This movie is starstruck with highly recognized actors. This was one of the many Vietnam movies of the 80s and 90s but I think it’s one of the best. It shows the truth of what some veterans that just got back from defending American came home to.
“Rambo:First blood” isn’t your typical war movie. It does not show battles and fights in the jungles. It shows what some soldiers had to deal with post traumatic stress disorder and not being treated right. PTSD is just as it sounds, stress after a traumatic event. IT is not just soldiers that can get it. Some children struggle with it too. Rambo was really the first of its kind. The movie starts of slow with John Rambo(Sylvester Stallone) walking into a small town in Washington. He is arrested by town Sheriff Will Teasle(Brian Dennehy). Rambo then leads Sheriff Teasle and his Deputies on a wild chase through the Washington forest.
This film shows very well what veterans from vietnam faced when they came home from the war. The first way it is showed is when Rambo is walking into town trying to find somewhere to stay because he is homeless, and gets arrested for walking around. Many of the vets came home to nothing and so they needed somewhere to stay, but no one really cared. Many of the vets came home with mental issues like PTSD. Surely they saw stuff over there that no one wants to see. This movie shows this greatly with flashbacks and things like that.
Personally I love this movie. It is action packed and has a great storyline. This is also the first movie of a series of four others. They may have set the bar too high with this one. The way that they show what some soldiers went through is great, even though this may have been a little exaggerated it still is great.
Overall this movie was one of the first of its kind. Most of the vietnam movies show war scenes, shooting, and death. What is unique about “Rambo: First Blood” is it explains the other part of the Vietnam war. Not all the shooting and killing, but the after effect of the war on the veterans home life. It wasn't just the veterans from Vietnam that suffered with these things. It has been happening for a long time and it continues with veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan. Hopefully more programs pop up so there isn’t a real life “Rambo”.