Slumdog Millionaire | Teen Ink

Slumdog Millionaire

By Julian DiMelis BRONZE, Inverness, Illinois
Julian DiMelis BRONZE, Inverness, Illinois

The movie Slumdog Millionaire chronicles the love story of two young 'Slumdogs.' Jamal and Latika fall in love. The story is outlined by Jamal's appearance on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Accused of cheating, the story opens with Jamal being interrogated and tortured by the police. He is forced to explain how he, a 'slumdog,' was able to answer all the trivia questions to win the 20,000,000 rupees. The answers all came from Jamal's interesting life experiences. The movie flashed back to these events stringing together the story of his past and his developing love with Latika. In one flashback Jamal's mother is killed by Hindus during an anti-Mulsim attack. After this Jamal and his brother Salim meet their third Muskateer, Latika, who was also orphaned by the attack. The trio was taken in by Maman who uses street children to beg for money and collects their earnings. Jamal and Salim managed to escape when things turned sour, but unfortunately, Latika is left behind when Salim lets go of her hand as they hop a train. The two brothers are forced to make their own way through the slums of Mumbai. They resort to stealing and swindling, even stealing shoes from the Taj Mahal. Through all this, Jamal never forgets Latika, his best friend and true love. Eventually Jamal and Latika are reunited. He briefly saves her from Maman and Salim kills Maman. After killing Maman, Salim becomes a gangster, and when things get rough, Jamal is separated from Latiaka and Salim. All alone, Jamal works to make a living. He once again makes contact with Salim and Latika. Salim has become a slightly more successful gangster and Latika is involved with the gang leader. Jamal tries to run away with Latika, but she is captured before the two can flee on a train. Shortly after Jamal is a contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? This brings the story to the present. Jamal reaches the 20,000,000 rupee question. He tries to use the 'phone a friend' lifeline to contact his brother. Latika, who has recently escaped the gang leader with Salim's help, answers the call. She does not know the answer, but Jamal guesses and gets the question right. The two live happily ever after.

The number one thing I liked about this movie was the love story. I am a sap for a good love story, and this was a great love story. So if you like love stories, I would definitely recommend this movie. I really liked that throughout both their difficult lives Jamal and Latika are finally united. It was a happy ending and a great love story. From the very beginning I hoped that the two would live together happily, and every time they got close to escaping together, something bad pulled them apart. These ups and downs made their final reunion a more dramatic event.

I also liked the way the movie addressed turmoil in India. This is the second reason I would recommend this movie. It shows short glimpses at difficult life in the slums. How the people of the slums live in impoverished conditions. Then it also showed religious intolerance. It shows Hindus the majority religion in India killing Muslims such as Jamal's mother. By offering these short, intense scenes the movie was able to show hardships in India without slowing down the movie or getting away from the plot.

My third reason I would recommend this film would be the acting. The actors were spectacular. This movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture of the Year and it is clear why. The actors were great and the plot was exciting. I really enjoyed this movie and would strongly recommend it to everyone. It is a serious movie, but there are some points of comic relief. Overall, it was a very good movie with a happy ending.