Alien | Teen Ink

Alien MAG

By ChrisbCF BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
ChrisbCF BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“In space no one can hear you scream” was the attention-grabbing slogan for the 1979 horror film “Alien.” A spaceship and its crew are sent into space to explore a mysterious S.O.S. signal. Events transpire that quickly turn their rescue mission into their own fight for survival. This is a horrifying, exciting, eye-catching film. Its music, acting, and cinematography create a creepy mood that keeps viewers on the edge of their seats.
Like most horror films, music plays a tremendous role in “Alien”s overall mood and foreshadowing. The eerie music cues scary moments and unexpected events. Tracks in this movie have creepy titles like “Alien Planet,” “Facehugger,” and “Acid Test.” When one of these pieces is played, it grabs viewers’ attention and causes them to fear or wonder what is coming next.
The acting in “Alien” is impressive. The cast includes several experienced actors: Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, and Harry Dean Stanton. The most well-known is Sigourney Weaver. They all portray their characters with expertise, from their dialog and body language to their screams and facial expressions. Their emotions are so convincing, viewers feel like they are right in the action.
The graphics and cinematography are the most important elements in “Alien.” The lighting is kept low for most of the film, which creates a nervous uncertainty. The special effects are nothing like today’s movies, but in 1979 they were impressively ahead of their time.
I highly recommend this film to anyone in search of a good sci-fi/horror. “Alien” is a terrific story portrayed well through its music, acting, and cinematography. Don’t underestimate this older film. I guarantee it will send chills down anyone’s spine.
And remember – no matter how much you scream, no one will hear it in space. 

My dad basically forced me to watch the film and I was very skeptical. It did however turn out to be a very good film.