Brother Bear | Teen Ink

Brother Bear

January 24, 2017
By EllieStodden BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
EllieStodden BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Personally, Disney movies are my favorite because they teach us important life lessons while building a connection with the characters along with added humor to the story. The movie “Brother Bear” is one of my favorites because the characters bring us on an action-packed and fun filled adventure through mountains and caves while showing us the true meaning of life. In the movie, there are three brothers who are raised in a community where they believe that spirits will guide them through life acting as their conscience. When they come of age, a special ceremony is held for them where they receive a totem from the spirits. The totem given to them shows which animal they represent and will guide them through their lifelong journey of discovering who they are and their purpose on Earth. Kenai(the main character) is upset after he receives a totem representing the bear of love. He wishes that he had a more manly totem like his brothers’ who received the eagle of guidance and the wolf of wisdom. I really enjoyed watching “Brother Bear” because of the wonderful music played throughout the movie, the lessons to be learned, and the characters that make you feel connected to them.

 

My favorite characters from “Brother Bear” are Koda(who is the so called Brother Bear) and Rutt and Tuke. They are two moose who lack knowledge and awareness, but it adds humor to the movie. Of course with Disney movies, there is always a cute character that everyone falls in love with. To me, Koda is that character. He’s an innocent, optimistic, and outgoing little bear who lost his mother. Even though he’s lost his only family member, he manages to stay positive all the time and is great at making new friends. Kenai sets out for revenge on a bear that killed his brother and almost himself too. Once Kenai finds the bear and kills it, the spirits are upset with the unnecessary death of the animal. As a punishment, Kenai is transformed into a bear so that he can grow and develop from the mistakes he has made. His brother Sitka(who is dead because of the bear) has now become a spirit and decides that in order for Kenai to truly understand life, he has to see the world from a new perspective. Kenai isn’t the only one who made mistakes. Hopefully Denahi(Kenai’s older brother) can learn too from his wrongdoings and learn to see life from a new angle too.


There are many lessons to be learned from the characters in “Brother Bear.” The movie represents trust, the importance of family, the bond between brothers, and finding who you really are on the inside. Kenai shows that we need to respect our elders and trust in the decisions they make, even though it might seem crazy at times. Other lessons I learned after watching “Brother Bear” are forgiveness and giving people chances. When meeting new people, we can’t judge them before getting to know them at least a little. After Kenai meets Koda, on their adventures, he finds that not only do bears and humans have different perspectives of life, each individual sees life in a whole new way.


I enjoy the songs in “Brother Bear” because they bring out the deep emotions felt by a character and they add beauty to the movie. The main singer/songwriter of the soundtrack from “Brother Bear” is Phil Collins, who also sang and wrote songs from Tarzan(another Disney favorite of mine). The soundtrack from this movie brings different emotions like hope and sadness to people watching the movie. There are upbeat songs during the adventurous parts of the movie and slow songs during the scary or nerve-racking parts. I love when the movie is at a really intense part while eerie music is playing subtly in the background creating suspense and curiosity.
Overall, I think “Brother Bear” is a wonderful movie that everyone should watch, no matter what your age is. There are great lessons to be learned throughout the movie while it brings the viewer on a spectacular journey with sadness, adventure, and humor. When I was watching “Brother Bear” for the first time, the ending was not at all what I expected and it was a total twist to the story, but that’s what makes “Brother Bear” my favorite movie.