Nerve | Teen Ink

Nerve

By saundrastodden BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
saundrastodden BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The anticipation of waiting in line at the amusement park, patiently getting ready for when it’s time to get aboard the intense roller coaster is one of my favorite feelings. Nothing makes my stomach drop more than when I’m buckling into the seat and finally hearing the nervous click, click, click of the ride going up. The excitement and nerves only grow bigger as the roller coaster starts to drop when it’s finally reached the maximum height. That feeling is one that will occur many times throughout watching the movie “Nerve.” Just like a roller coaster, the film is very fast-paced, mysterious, and adventurous; therefore, I believe thrill seekers would enjoy this movie the most. There are many lessons to learn while watching the daredevil adventures of Vee, Ian, and the many other players.

The movie is about a made up online game called Nerve. It is a game of truth or dare, minus the truth. The people who sign up for Nerve are given two options: player or watcher. The players are given the dares that they fear most, which gives them the biggest thrill and feeling of accomplishment when done. The watchers choose the players’ dares and view the most popular players as they go out and live life on the edge.

The movie is filmed from angles that change your perspective. Occasionally it shows the players that are participating in Nerve through their computers and phones they are connected to. It shows the background of how deep the internet is and how much it can actually find out about just one person. It looks far into every little piece of information that is put out there about each person that signs up. The watchers hide behind masks so no one will know their identity. They make themselves into a fake person that isn’t seen with emotions. The new angles made me think way outside the box and think how realistic this could be and how it relates to society trying to hide behind the internet and be a different person. The way a movie is filmed adds to the excitement and connections between the viewer and the characters.

There is never a dull moment in this film. Constant thought and worry was going through my head as I watched and wait and wonder what was going to happen next. Vee (played by Emma Roberts) is tired of her best friend, Sydney (Emily Meade), telling her that she doesn’t do anything fun and crazy. Out of anger, she signs up as a player. Her first dare is to kiss a stranger for 5 seconds. The dare leads her to a new friend, Ian (Dave Franco), who soon becomes her partner through a daring, adventurous night of ridiculous thrills. Playing the game Nerve didn’t always seem like a good idea to Vee and her friend because a year earlier there was an incident. The game got too intense and someone fell off a building while attempting a dare which would have won him the final round of the game. Ty, (actor and rapper Machine Gun Kelly) is a player that was involved with the incident but is now in it to win with no dare or player in his way. As the movie continues to follow Vee through her daring night with Ian, everyone will be kept on the edge of their seats.

Along with all the thrills and mystery in the movie, there are quite a few lessons to learn from it. The film shows how powerful and manipulative the internet can be. Tempting players to do dares that could go so far as death. The watchers are pressured into choosing whether someone’s life is more important than having a winner of the game Nerve. It is a great example of peer pressure. Teenagers are being influenced and convinced by other teens to do things that could lead to danger. People who don’t like horror movies but enjoy having a good scare from excitement will love this movie.

“Nerve” is a well filmed mystery movie with cool effects that make the viewer feel connected with the characters. With a very premeditated plot, this film has many lessons to learn and thrills to seek. The film was constantly bringing me through a thrilling roller coaster of adventure. It made my mind race with a the possibilities of what might happen next. This adventure is one no adventurous teen would want to miss.