Frosty the Snowman | Teen Ink

Frosty the Snowman

“Thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, look at Frosty go. Thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump, over the hills of snow!” It’s the most wonderful time of year again. Meaning, iconic Christmas specials that many have been enjoying since the early years of their youth are played every night on multiple television channels. As I skim through the selection of heartwarming specials that can immediately put me in the “Christmas Spirit”, there is always one movie in particular I can never pass up the opportunity of watching. The Original TV Classic of Frosty the Snowman, released in 1969 by directors Authur Rankin Jr. and Jules Bass, for years have had children and adults from all ages laugh and smile.

I remember being around the age of five at my grandmother’s house watching Frosty the Snowman of repeat for hours while sitting down next to my singing Frosty the Snowman plush toy and it didn’t even have to be winter time, however the classic does scream “Santa’s coming!” to young, eager children.

The movie begins in a classroom of children anxiously awaiting the final bell to permit them to leave school and finally begin their Christmas break, however for the last day before break, the teacher hires a magician to entertain the children. The magician struggles to get his rabbit to cooperate with the magic act and therefore loses the attention of the children and embarrasses himself. As the final bell rings, the rabbit runs off, out the door with magician’s magic hat, as well as the children taking off for door to leave school as quickly as possible. Immediately the children begin playing in the snow and build a snowman. While the children were deciding a name for the snowman and dancing around it singing “Frosty the Snowman was a jolly, happy soul, with corncob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal”, magician’s hate blows in the wind towards the children and they place it on his head, bringing Frosty to life! There really must’ve been some magic in that old silk hat they found! When the magician realized that his hat truly was magic, he spent the entire rest of the movie trying to steal it back from Frosty. The children and Frosty laughed and played together but time was ticking, the weather was increasing and the children needed to get Frosty to the North Pole immediately before he melted away. They set off for an adventure towards the North Pole, faced obstacles and was followed every step of the way by the evil magician who even melts Frosty by locking him in a greenhouse! However, no negativity could ever trump the power of Christmas spirit and Santa Claus! Santa brings Frosty back to life and takes him to the North Pole where he lived happily, continually surrounding by magic Christmas snow.

Frosty the Snowman is such a joyful, heartwarming movie that includes many life lessons such as, teaching young children to separate themselves from negative people and to stand up for what is right. Ever since I was little, I loved Frosty the Snowman and I always wished the snowmen I built in my childhood would too, come to life. Frosty was just such an innocent, loving soul, it’s hard not to just fall in love with him and this movie! “Frosty the snowman was alive as he could be and the kids all say he could laugh
And play just the same as you and me”