The Great Escape | Teen Ink

The Great Escape

November 20, 2016
By SawyerR SILVER, Kensington, New Hampshire
SawyerR SILVER, Kensington, New Hampshire
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Are you looking for tantalizing action-packed rendition of the experiences of Allied Prisoners of War trapped in a World War II high security German war camp?

   

Then look no further than The Great Escape, a film adapted from the novel The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill which is based off real events and the strenuous experiences of the prisoners of Stalag Luft III prisoner of war camp.  Actors of this heart-wrenching escape film include Steve McQueen, James Garner, and Richard Attenborough. The most skilled escapees of the Allied Prisoners of War are being put into a brand spanking new high security prison camp that the Germans are undoubtedly convinced can keep the prisoners contained and obedient. The Colonel of the camp, von Luger, even stating that “There will be no escapes from this camp” sending chills up your back and making you really question if the prisoners can pull off an escape, especially with the Germans breathing down the their necks with harsh regulations and cruel punishments. Many of these prisoners being veteran escapees having escaped from multiple prison of war camps before and you can bet they are determined to escape the grasp of the Germans with a goal of not just getting a few prisoners free but all two hundred fifty of them.

   

While intensely watching this film you push yourself to the edge of your seat, constantly and consistently wondering if the your favorite characters will get caught, because since when is everything just dandy for your favorite characters in a movie. Whether it’s just a routine inspection by a German soldier or the prisoners getting antsy and testing their limits, your feels are wrenched this way and that. Are they going to make it or are they going to get caught? You are also amazed by the well thought out techniques and strategies that the prisoners develop. Sometimes I was even left wondering how on Earth they pull these things off. Or left worried when Germans uncover one of the these techniques that seemed impossible to find. You are also blown away on how a group of soldiers from all different ends of the world join together to complete on common goal, a Great Escape.

   

In my opinion, The Great Escape is for anyone who is interested in World War II, prison escapes, history and  not to mention anyone intrigued by a plotline filled with risk and suspense.