Gone Girl | Teen Ink

Gone Girl

By brendasveen BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
brendasveen BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire

Have you ever watched a movie so good, so well-created, so perfectly crafted that once it ends, you sit there, staring at the TV screen, as the end credits roll on your TV screen, and all you can do is blankly look ahead, thinking, “What. Just. Happened?”

Well, trust me when I say this, the psychological thriller Gone Girl will sure leave you feeling that sort of way. Released in 2014, the movie is based on Gillian Flynn’s 2012 novel with the same name, and is famous for its amazing storyline and its equally as amazing acting. You may recognize some familiar faces; Ben Affleck playing Nick Dunne, Rosamund Pike playing his beautiful, but insane, wife Amy, and Neil Patrick Harris playing Desi Collings.

Gone Girl is one of those movies where you have to pay attention to every detail, especially towards the end, every single thing the characters say, or you may miss something important. It’s a pretty long movie, with a running time of about 2 ½ hours, but each one of those minutes something exciting is happening.

It has won many awards as well; it was nominated for an Oscar and a few Golden Globes, and won the 2015 best adapted screenplay award.

Every second you go into the film, the plot thickens and deepens. You’ll form a quick opinion on the characters; but by the end your opinion will change drastically from the clever ways Gillian Flynn used to develop each and every character. At one point you’ll hate them; and later on you just might love them.

And as for the ending? In the last ten minutes of the movie, you’ll take a ride on an emotional rollercoaster, sitting on the edge of your seat while you watch everything go into place, realizing how this movie is going to come to a close, “But it can’t end that way!”.

And again, as those end credits start to play with that eerie music, you’ll just be staring at the TV screen, thinking, “What. Just. Happened?”

I really enjoyed this movie, and also I had to write about a movie for an English assignment so I chose this one.