The Ghost and the Darkness | Teen Ink

The Ghost and the Darkness

November 18, 2016
By Jriggie BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
Jriggie BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I’ll sort it out,” says John Patterson played by Val Kilmer in the movie The Ghost and the Darkness. This is how he approaches all of his problems. Some of his problems are dealing with killer lions while building a bridge, where the workers are scared and they don’t get along with each other.


The Ghost and the Darkness is about an engineer named John Patterson. It takes place in eastern Africa in 1896. John Patterson is there because he was sent to build a bridge across the Tsavo river. He works with the people of Tsavo to build the bridge in 5 months. He also works with Abdullah who is the leader of the Indian people as well as working with the Hindus. The problem is none of them get along. So they have a liaison named Samuel. A liaison helps create peace between the people. During the beginning of building the bridge they encounter another problem. Two killer lions terrorize the town of Tsavo. Tsavo means “a place of slaughter”. The workers are very sacred because the lions have killed just under 30 people. The town of Tsavo call the lions  the Ghost and the Darkness because they only attack at night. Some of the people believe that they are not lions but that they are the devils. They are not afraid of anything. They try to solve this problem by building a fence out of thorn bushes which they thought would keep the lions out. They were wrong. After they run out of ideas for stopping the lions, they call a U.S hunter named Remington played by Michael Douglas. After all of the workers have fled, Remington and Patterson go hunting. Will they kill the lions or will the lions kill them?


Usually I prefer science fiction movies, but watching The Ghost and the Darkness opened up a new kind of movie to me. It did not feel like a true story. This movie was exhilarating, and it makes you want to watch the movie over and over again. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.


If you like action thriller movies then The Ghost and the Darkness can provide you with a great emotional and intellectual experience. As John Kani, who played Samuel, says “ Only the most incredible parts of the story are true.” This is not a movie that you would want to miss.