No Escape | Teen Ink

No Escape

Let me ask you something, would you fight for your life or would you rather die, scared? I kept on asking myself this same question throughout this movie. I wanted to watch this movie because when I saw the trailer, it looked suspenseful and exciting. I really liked this movie mostly because it left me sitting on the edge of my seat.

No Escape is an action film that is influenced by real life events that happened in Cambodia. A man named Jack Dwyer (Owen Wilson) moves him and his family across the country to Southeast Asia for his job to improve the water systems. Little did they know, when they arrived, they would be right in the middle of a rebel uprising. The rebels are executing all foreigners and anyone who gets in their way. Jack and his wife, Annie (Lake Bell) have two daughters, and they go on a dangerous journey to try and fight for their lives. Along their journey, they meet a man named Hammond (Pierce Brosnan) who helps them survive along the way. 

The director of this movie is John Erick Dowdle, he is known for directing horror films. In my opinion, this movie is like a horror movie. The events that happened in the movie could become reality. With the way things are going in America, and all around the world, I wouldn’t be surprised if terrorists come over to America and start a war with us. Or if I go to travel to a country, I would be executed for being an American. Although this movie was suspenseful, it also made me sad. To know that innocent Americans and people were killed for nothing is heartbreaking.

“If we die here tomorrow, it will have been worth it.” That’s the mentality Annie had throughout the movie. If you traveled across the world with your family and rebels were trying to kill you, would you fight for your life or would you die being scared? And if you did die, would your life would have been worth it? The message this movie gave is never take your life for granted. You never know when you are going to die, so live your life to the fullest.

I highly recommend this movie to adults and those who love action films. This movie is insightful, intense, and horrifying. In my opinion, the acting was phenomenal, they were so real, and passionate about playing their roles. If you love siting on the edge of your seat, then you’ll love this movie.