Miracle in Cell Number 7 | Teen Ink

Miracle in Cell Number 7

By MariB GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
MariB GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

If you’re into K-drama or Korean drama, you must’ve heard of the movie “Miracle in Cell Number 7”. It’s not your typical love story or a superhero movie, it’s a melodrama movie with a side of comedy.

As a person who does and doesn’t like crying in movies, this movie made me tear up a couple times, even after watching it numerous times. It stars Ryu Seung-ryong, Kal So-won, Park Shin-hye, and a lot more. All starred in different types of successful movies and TV series, especially Park Shin-hye. The movie had numerous award nominations and won some of them.

The movie started with Ye-Seung, as an adult (Park Shin-hye), defending her mentally challenged father, Yong-Goo (Ryu Seung-ryong), who was accused of rape and murder - which was fabricated by the police. As Ye-Seung defends her father in court, she had flashbacks and tells everyone the story of how her father lived inside the prison cell.

As Ye-Seung tells the story, the movie goes on as well. Her father was placed in cell number 7, with a bunch of criminals, real criminals. Yong-Goo had trouble coping with his surroundings since he’s lost and don’t know why or how he got there. He kept on wondering how Ye-Seung (Kal So-won) is doing, so does Ye-Seung since she was 7 and don’t know where her father went. The guys from the cell later on helped him out and they hid Ye-Seung in the cell until the Chief Jang (Jung Jin-young), found out that they were keeping a child inside the cell even thought they’re not allowed to.

Everyone found out that Yong-Goo shouldn’t been imprisoned because he was innocent. The detective tried to hide the truth as well but everyone else tried to set Yong-Goo free. It shows that no secrets won’t be uncovered and if you’re doing things right, you’ll find people who will fight for you. The end of the story was emotional, in my opinion, but it’s for sure not a cliffhanger.