The Sandlot | Teen Ink

The Sandlot

By cthompson20 BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
cthompson20 BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire

“Remember kid there's heroes and there’s legends. Heros get remembered but legends never die” After 2 decades these words said by “The Great Bambino”  said to Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez still live on.  The Sandlot Directed by David Mickey Evans is about when Scotty Smalls moves just before summer starts and he is trying to make friends. One day “Smalls” follows 8 kids to the Sandlot where they play baseball all summer long. But when a ball is hit Smalls way he gets embarrassed when he can’t can’t throw or catch it.  Eventually he befriends Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez who teaches him how to play.  The rest of the summer they play baseball and have fun until Smalls gets them into the biggest pickle that any of them have ever seen.

Tom Guiry fits perfectly into the role of Scotty Smalls his nerdiness and geekiness work perfectly into the film.  Mike Vitar also did a phenomenal job as Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez his swagger and bravery when he is faced with adversity with the beast are astounding.  The supporting cast also did a great job like Patrick Renna as Ham, Chauncey Leopardi as Squints, James Earl-Jones as mr. Mertle and a lot more. One thing that is not good about this movie is that it is a little sexist because they do not really say some nice things about women like when Ham said to a rival team “You play ball like a girl”. The second movie is actually about girls playing baseball but it is not as good as the first one.

This movie was an instant sports classic because of of how funny, heartwarming   .  It makes me think of my summers spent out playing with friends or swimming in the pool.  It also takes me back to playing baseball as a little kid and having fun with my friends.  This is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. One of the greatest baseball movies of all time too along with Moneyball, Major League, Bad news Bears and several others.  If you like baseball and comedy you will definitely enjoy this movie.  It teaches you that friends are one of the biggest parts of your life and they will help you when you get into trouble.