The Blind Side | Teen Ink

The Blind Side

November 17, 2016
By kdensford20 BRONZE, East Kingston, New Hampshire
kdensford20 BRONZE, East Kingston, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Blind Side directed by John Lee Hancock is a moving American sports drama about how one woman changed the course of a teen’s life forever. I’m not one to jump up and down when a new sports film is out, but this is no ordinary “sports movie”.


The storyline is set in the hot south of Memphis, Tennessee where racism was still an issue. The movie follows a 17-year-old named Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) who has been in and out of foster care since he was a kid due to his father’s absence and mother’s drug addiction. After running away, Michael’s friend’s father talks to the coach (Ray McKinnon) of the Wingate Christian School, to allow Michael acceptance into the school. The school accepted Michael, despite his academic struggles, in return for his promised athletic abilities. After starting at his new school, Michael befriends a younger boy named Sean Tuohy Jr. or “SJ” and the two become fast friends. One night while driving home, SJ and his family see Michael standing out in the rain all alone. Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock), a headstrong interior designer takes Michael under her wing and orders Michael to stay with her family. This is a heartwarming film about working hard for your dreams, pushing back against society, and finding family in places you’d never think to look.


Sandra Bullock flawlessly finds the balance between her character's tough and stubborn attitude, and her loving and motherly personality. Bullock won an Academy Award for Best Lead Actress and “The Blind Side” was nominated for Best Picture in 2010 at the 82nd Academy Awards.


The film itself is shot in warm, sunny tones and the costumes reflect their characters to a “T”. The music by Carter Burwell captures all the many moods throughout the film in this musically dynamic and beautiful soundtrack.


While overall the movie is well done, to some it may seem “cheesy” or “superficial” due to insufficient amount of depth to the supporting roles. It seems as though Bullock’s character was so widely focused upon that the other characters lacked that same representation from the writer.


This film is equally funny as it is heartfelt, and I encourage anyone who is seeking a movie to watch with the whole family, to watch it.  The movie incorporates every aspect of a family, both the good and the bad. I would definitely call The Blind Side one of my favorite movies.