Doctor Strange | Teen Ink

Doctor Strange MAG

By BearTrust BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
BearTrust BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire

Doctor Strange is the movie everyone is saying you must see in 3D, they weren’t wrong. This movie is the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to revolve around magic and the MCU went all out in special effects, combining the style of movie Inception with the effect of kaleidoscopes to create a visually stunning piece of art.

Doctor Strange is a highly skilled surgeon who has made it rich by taking on only the cases that will bring him fame. One night, Strange crashes his car. He wakes up to find himself in the hospital with hands that are steady no longer, meaning his career is over.

After burning through most of the money he’s ever made, Dr. Strange goes on a wild goose chase, ends up in Kamar-Taj, a school for sorcerers, and learns to become a sorcerer himself. H then helps to fight the evil dude.

To help the effects and the story, you have an amazing cast. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Doctor Strange wonderfully, with a mixture of conceit, humor, and desperation, but the really memorable characters are Wong and Mordo. Benedict Wong plays Wong, who is the greatest and most terrifying librarian in the world. Wong never laughs and has heavy fees for late books. Mordo is played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, who brings the realism of someone who sees the world as black and white.

I’m not going to tell you anything else about the movie, you should go see it. But I will say this: Doctor Strange may seem very similar to Iron Man to some people, but I’d have to disagree. Yes, they are both billionaire playboys who are narcissistic and only care for the advancement of their fame and fortune. They both get into accidents that force them to find new ways to carry on with their lives and have basically the same facial hair. But the key difference is that Dr. Strange learns something from his adventures while Tony Stark just goes back to his life as a playboy. Hence the reason I enjoyed Doctor Strange more than I enjoyed Iron Man. Strange knows that he was a jerk and changes, he learns from his past to help him in the future. Stark basically stays a jerk and simply adds on the superhero bit at the end. Don’t get me wrong, I love Iron Man but I love Doctor Strange more because it is ever so slightly different than it’s counterpart.

Doctor Strange is an extremely clever and beautiful movie that you should go see and if you do, don’t forget to stay for the two end credits scenes.