The Jungle Book | Teen Ink

The Jungle Book

By emilymm BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire
emilymm BRONZE, Exeter, New Hampshire

The Jungle Book, directed by Jon Favreau based on the classic collection of stories by Rudyard Kipling is a family friendly and funny movie. Though this movie may sound childish, if you are looking for a lighthearted and sweet movie, this is a good movie to watch.

Mowgli (Neel Sethi) is raised by wolves and is considered part of the pack. A human living in the jungle doesn’t cause any problems until one day Shere Khan (Voice by Idris Elba), the tiger, decides that there wasn’t going to be peace on the hills until the mancub, Mowgli, is killed. Shere Khan doesn’t like Mowgli because he killed Mowgli’s father when Mowgli was a baby and was burnt by The Red Flower, so he doesn’t like any humans. Bagheera, the panther, decides that Mowgli needs to go and live in the man village to hopefully make Shere Khan happy and peaceful with the wolf pack. Bagheera gets hurt in a surprise attack from Shere Khan, but Mowgli continues on. Mowgli is saved by a bear, Baloo (Voice by Bill Murray) and they make a deal; Mowgli will stay with Baloo until winter. Bagheera shows up as winter is approaching and wants Mowgli to go to the man village. He is torn between staying in the jungle with Baloo or going to the man village.

The music that plays during this film fit with what was happening for the most part. The song “Bare Necessities” is put in a slightly comical spot where Mowgli and Baloo are playing in the river which which leaves us wondering; Bare or Bear? The song that giant ape, King Louie, sings is a bit confusing because it doesn’t fit with the serious and suspenseful tone of the scene. The background music is placed well. When the tiger arrives at the river, the suspenseful music that plays in the background is hardly noticeable, but it casts the suspenseful tone over the viewers.

The visual effects are stunning. All of the animals are animated and they look very realistic and detailed. Because it is harder to see the animated animals body language, the voices are all important. The voices all fit the characters and the people doing the voices are all able to bring real emotion into their voices which makes the movie sound more realistic such as Scarlett Johansson’s portrayal of Kaa, the snake, and her alluring sound that draws Mowgli in.

Full of adventure and action, The Jungle Book is able to stir your emotions but still keep it light and fun for the whole family. It is a heartfelt tale of Mowgli and his journey to find his place without hurting others.