The Princess Bride | Teen Ink

The Princess Bride

By autheras BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire
autheras BRONZE, Stratham, New Hampshire

Adapted into a 1987 feature film, The Princess Bride is a quotable classic between Buttercup, the princess bride, and Westley, a simple farm boy, the Dread Pirate Roberts, the Man in Black, and knight in shining armor.

With director Rob Reiner and author William Goldman, it shares an original cross between sorcery and swords and has an imagination beyond the Grimm brothers. Better yet, there are witty remarks and cliché heroic fantasies. Towards the end, the humor of Prince Humperdinck’s gullibility, along with his laughable name, the happily ever after the title promises, and the last of five kisses, are enough to satisfy the movie’s spellbound viewers.

Reiner does justice to Goldman’s story in The Princess Bride as he has also done with This Is Spinal Tap. It was also, apparently, one of the few movies that was made without budget problems, prima donna interruptions, artistic differences, screenwriter-director disputes, or backstabbing, and it’s admirable to see Reiner keep that peace.

Cary Elwes portrays Westley as imagined in the book despite the difficulties he endures with a broken ankle and with the time he got concussed on set. Nevertheless, he manages to act as elegant and heroic as Westley should be. Robin Wright does an excellent job in getting the idea that true love conquers all to her viewers. She often keeps them on their toes when she plays Buttercup and lets them wonder if the happily ever after they want will be there to take.

Other important cast members that deserve recognition are Chris Sarandon as Prince Humperdinck who mixes humor to his evil, Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya who executes his sword fighting with terrifying vigor, and Andre the Giants who portrays Fezzik as brutal and fair. There is also Christopher Guest as Count Tyrone Rugen who disappeared so well into his role that Reiner forgot that he was even there to begin with and Wallace Shawn as Vizzini who is too funny to hate despite his spiteful character.

The Princess Bride, despite some of its violent scenes and vulgar words, is fit for all audiences who want to find something family friendly to watch. Perhaps, despite its fairy tale roots, it was made famous years after it was released because of the purpose it serves to families at home. With so many hidden discoveries, it’s easy to imagine what other details have been skipped over, but because of this, it’s what keeps people coming back to marvel it again.

Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
My mom loves that film! She would say the lines really well. Me, I tend to get lines from the mighty python mixed up with the princess bride lines. LoL
Hey, I'm still working on that.