The Breakfast Club | Teen Ink

The Breakfast Club

High school since 1985

Has high school really changed since 1985? The movie The Breakfast Club shows that it really hasn’t, we still have all different stereotypes. In the movie five kids, with different stereotypes meet in detention, there is miss popularity, the geek, the jock, the criminal, and the outcast and in today’s generation, high school is almost the same.

The Breakfast Club is one of my personal favorites; it sums up high school in one movie. I would recommend it to anyone. A lot of teens would say high school is one of the most difficult times in their lives, with fitting in, trying to figure out what social group they would fit in best, and trying focus on school and everything else. This movie shows how these kids struggle with how others see them, and how they want to be seen.  Mr. Vernon the principal sees them as the stereotypes they are and treats them how he sees them, for example John Bender the “criminal” is treated like a criminal, when all he wants is to fit in. in my opinion a lot of teens and upcoming high school goers will be able to relate to this movie and prepare them for high school.

When someone firsts meets someone they will have a first impression, and sometimes it really isn’t a good one. That’s how the group of teens is in the beginning of the movie; they aren’t really fond of each other. Once you get to know that person your perspective of them changes and you see not just their stereotype but how they really are and how they act with friends.   Around the middle of the movie they begin to open up to each other and share how it is to be in their social group, and they began to grow a liking to each other.

Everybody will break some kind of rule at some point in their life, and most of the time it will be in high school. People think some stereotypes won’t break the rules at all, and others will break every rule in the book. This movie kind of proves them wrong, there are five kids in detention and each one of them from a different social group. At the beginning of the movie it shows how they don’t talk to each other, and they basically hate each other. When they open up and are honest with each other, they say what they thought of one another. Like for example Claire Standish, miss popularity, thought that Brian Johnson, the geek, didn’t have as many friends as she did or talked to as many people as she did.

I recommend The Breakfast Club to any teens and upcoming teens for it shows how high schoolers feel and how they are seen along with the subject of stereotypes that they don’t show who people really are and what they can do. This movie has changed how I see people, and has taught me to not go by your first impression and wait till you get to know someone before you judge them.