Bridge to Terabithia | Teen Ink

Bridge to Terabithia

By SaraBethy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
SaraBethy SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Based on the novel by Katherine Paterson and directed by Gabor Csupo, Bridge to Terabithia turns your imagination into reality. This movie consists of genres such as fantasy, adventure, and drama, which are displayed beautifully throughout the movie. Have you ever felt like there is not one person who truly understands you, not even your family? Jess Aarons has, until Leslie Burke moves into town. Going from an outsider, lost in middle school, to king of a magical land not too far from home, Jess Aarons certainly knows how to create his own adventure.

Put an artist (Jess/ played by Josh Hutcherson) and a writer (Leslie/ played by AnnaSophia Robb) together and a whole new world will appear, literally. A magical land, named by the kids, “Terabithia” surrounds them after swinging over a river on a rope that seems indestructible, but don’t mistake thoughts for facts. Terabithia is a beautiful land with nature flowing everywhere and amazing mystical creatures that Jess and Leslie imagine; but there is bad in every good. Jess and Leslie have to be alert for the Dark Master. He appears and disappears everywhere, moving very quickly. They are enemies with the Dark Master and he minions who confront them throughout the movie. One quote from the movie that I adore is “Open your eyes and keep your mind wide open.” Sometimes, when you look at things you don’t really see them. Other times, you see something but your imagination tampers with it. This quote shows how Jess and Leslie imagined the magical creatures and beautiful landscapes throughout the movie that is why they must keep their mind wide open. Jess and Leslie know how to put their minds together and see a whole new world.

The characters fit the movie precisely. They flow with the movie and make every emotion feel real, like you can connect with them. Jess has scruffy brown hair and isn’t very tall. His clothes are raggedy and due to lack of money, he wears his sister’s old sneakers. He is very caring and protective to the ones he loves. Leslie has short boy cut blonde hair with a loving face. She doesn’t wear the most fancy clothes, but you can tell that she can afford what she wears. Leslie always knows what to say and she is a great friend. Jess’s family has a big impact on him throughout the movie. Jack Aarons (his dad), played by Robert Patrick, May Belle Aarons (his little sister), played by Bailee Madison, and Mary Aarons (his mom), played by Kate Butler.

The cinematography by Michael Chapman is absolutely gorgeous. We view beautiful landscapes and realistic creatures throughout the movie such as fairies, giants, squogres, and trolls. The interiors were very well done. Bridge to Terabithia is not played in silence; the background music makes you connect more to the movie. Songs by Miley Cyrus and actor herself, AnnaSophia Robb are only two voices of the amazing background music.
This action packed movie is filled with surprises and will not leave you disappointed. The book Bridge to Terabithia won the John Newbery Medal Award and actor Bailee Madison won the Young Artist Award for Best Leading Young Actress in a feature film. Even though Jess has a rough time at school and at home, he will forever be the King of Terabithia with Leslie as the Queen and all the Terabithians will always look up to him.