High Hopes for the High Ropes | Teen Ink

High Hopes for the High Ropes

November 1, 2016
By juliadekorte GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
juliadekorte GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On its website, the Skytop Lodge Adventure Center promised a “fun and exciting adventure through the trees,” and that is exactly what it delivered. Over 3,000 feet in length, up to 40 feet high, complete with 16 ziplines, a surplus of logs, ropes, and platforms, and even a bonus course, the Treetop Adventure Course at Skytop Lodge, Pennsylvania, was everything I expected from a high ropes course and more.


Located in Skytop, Pennsylvania, Skytop Lodge is a luxury resort and hotel that sits on over 5,000 acres of land in the Pocono Mountains. It was built in 1928 and has been attracting visitors from all over the country since then. This all-season resort offers various activities including, but not limited to, hiking, swimming, archery, paintball, laser tag, skiing, snowboarding, skating, dog sledding, tobogganing, and finally, the Treetop Adventure high ropes course.


The ropes course, new in 2014, is a contemplation of six separate courses, with a bonus challenge course at the end. The four hour adventure not only provided the thrill of being high up in the trees, but pushed my body to its limits. Requiring strong upper body strength and lot of balance, the course is fun for all ages. Each course had different obstacles, including ziplines, hanging logs, rope swings, and more.


The challenge course at the end is the most difficult course of them all. It starts off with 50 yards of cargo netting, on which we have to climb across. Moving from there onto logs hanging by ropes really tested my upper body strength. Grabbing onto a rope and swinging onto another cargo net made it impossible not to enjoy ourselves. Even just flying through the air on the ziplines was a freeing and beautiful experience within itself.


Some people were concerned about falling, but we soon realized that safety wasn’t an issue. We were harnessed and safe throughout the whole course. Also, before we were even allowed out on the course, everyone had to take thirty minutes to learn about all of the equipment and complete a practice course. And if that wasn’t enough, a friendly and helpful guide was with us at all times, equipped with the tools to fix any situation, as well as provide helpful tips as to how to go about completing an obstacle.


Overall, the Treetop Adventure high ropes course at Skytop was an amazing experience, and was more fun than I ever could’ve imagined. The thrilling adventure can satisfy anyone, from an adrenaline junkie to just someone looking for a good time up in the trees, and left us wanting to come back and do it again.