Suicide Squad | Teen Ink

Suicide Squad MAG

September 21, 2016
By kniefelg SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
kniefelg SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There will always be a part of me that's sloppy and dirty but I like that along with all the other parts of me." - Jennifer Lawrence


First midnight showing since 2012’s “Prometheus.” Bought tickets two weeks in advance. So pumped and excited. Couldn’t wait.

Oh, how utterly disappointing it was.

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the film. I enjoyed it like getting laughing gas at the dentist: pleasurable at the time, but after it’s over you’re in a lot of pain.

“Suicide Squad” is DC Entertainment’s attempt at an anti-hero team. The comics were very enjoyable, so fans expected to enjoy the movie. It’s not as bad as mainstream critics said, but it wasn’t much better.

The film follows Deadshot (Will Smith), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman), Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney), El Diablo (Jay Hernandez), and Killer Croc (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) as they attempt to stop Enchantress (Cara Delevingne). Everyone in Midway City has left, so the government sends the most disposable super villains ever. Throw in little sprinkles of Joker (Jared Leto, whose talent is absolutely wasted by giving him basically a glorified cameo) and you have “Suicide Squad.”

I walked out of the film feeling cheated. The plot was formulaic, cliché, and frankly just plain boring. It’s been done before. “Oh, hey, let’s send in some circus freaks to solve our problems so that we can hide in our shells and not deal with the fact that this may be the end of the world.” This is the government. This is a problem.

The visual effects were like a copy of “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.” They were meh at best. I found it to be distracting from the lack of plot, and in this case it’s not a good thing. There’s a major lack of character development. It feels as though they decided to ignore the backstory of anyone not Harley Quinn, Deadshot, or the villain’s partner. They merely dip a toe into stories that have the potential to be a great film.

Not every part of the movie was horrible, to be fair. The main saving grace is Harley Quinn, who is hilarious and crazy. Another high point is Harley’s plotline with the Joker. Leto, while being very non-Heath Ledger-esque, has made the Joker great again. It’s a shame that they cut out most of his scenes.

I give this film two stars. At very best, get it from Redbox. It’s not worth the price of a movie ticket. And the heavy reliance on the Joker for marketing? Nope.