The Little Prince This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

2016 has been a year of many things. It’s been a year of political turmoil, with Britain exiting the European Union, and the U.S. presidential election. It’s been a year of terrorist attacks, with bombings in Paris, Brussels, Turkey, and an innumerable amount of other places around the globe. It’s been a year of athletics, with the start and end of the 2016 Rio Olympics, where athletes from all around the globe come to compete together.

It’s been a year of many things. But the one thing it hasn’t really been a year for is movies.

I can already hear all the fans screaming. But what about Captain America Civil War? What about Finding Dory? What about Deadpool, Zootopia, and Ghostbusters?

While I’ll admit that there were a few movies here and there that were entertaining to watch, there was nothing that really had me fully enraptured in the film. I know I’m going to get a lot of flak for this, but 2016 has been a dull and uninspiring year in terms of movies. The cinema of 2016 has been a slew of reboots, sequels, and semi original ideas that did little more than introduce weakly developed characters with an all-star cast and drag them through an ill-conceived plot to gain profits through trademark characters. As 2016 draws to a close, there hasn’t been anything that refutes my opinion except for one movie: The Little Prince.

A story originally written by Antoine de Saint Exupery, The Little Prince is a critically acclaimed masterpiece that should be shown in theatres everywhere (but inconceivably isn’t). A story within a story, a little girl meets an eccentric aviator and learns about his experiences with the little prince, a boy that lived on a planet scarcely bigger than himself. Though the girl starts out wanting to be a perfect grown up by following grown up expectations, she realizes that a life where childhood is forgotten is not a life worth living at all.

While the story’s main message is that “What is essential is invisible to the eye,” the movie has stunning visuals that somehow manages to be incredibly simple yet hauntingly beautiful at the same time. Delicate as crepe paper, the animation in The Little Prince fits the theme of the story like no other method of movie making can, with an amazing array of characters, buildings, and backdrops. The awe inspiring backgrounds, joined by the phenomenal soundtrack by movie soundtrack artist Hans Zimmer and the French singer Camille serves to be a euphoric experience like no other, the music accentuating all the right emotions at the right places.

If that wasn’t enough, the movie splashes a large dose of creativity into the story in the third act, where the movie reaches its emotional peak in a climax so unexpected, even a long time Little Prince devotee like myself was surprised, and pleasantly so. Though I’m usually adverse to movies adding extra scenes not from the original material, The Little Prince movie adaptation flowed gently from scene to scene like a river, natural and free, like the simple joys of childhood.

All in all, though The Little Prince is a movie targeted as a movie about children for children, it is really a movie for everyone, whether young or old. Because as the aviator said, “Growing up isn’t the problem. Forgetting is.”

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 9:35 pm
I've always absolutely loved "The Little Prince" as a book on its own, so when the movie came out I was a little skeptical that it would even come close to matching the book. However, I was pleasantly surprised with it, and your review definitely gives the movie justice! Great job with this; keep writing! :)