Captain America: Civil War | Teen Ink

Captain America: Civil War

By CarolinaIM SILVER, Plantation, Florida
CarolinaIM SILVER, Plantation, Florida

Captain America: Civil War is Marvel Studios latest movie to hit theaters and is one of the most popular Marvel has created yet. Directed by the Russo brothers and released on May 6, 2016, it has raked in $1,150,565,002 worldwide to date! These revenues rank this blockbuster in the top four of the Marvel cinematic wonders falling close behind Iron Man 3. If you are looking for a movie that will knock your socks off, this is definitely the one.

Captain America: Civil War, inspired by the 2006 Civil War graphic novel, is an action-packed science-fiction movie filled with struggle and conflict. Thor, the Hulk and other repeat characters have been left out. When the Avengers are faced with signing the Sokovia Accords that will place them under the control of the United Nations, this causes a rift between Captain America and Iron Man and it forces them to take sides. Cap opposes the resolution, but Iron Man agrees with it. The remaining heroes are forced to take sides and divide the Avengers. For the first time in Marvel history, we find superhero against superhero! What?! Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and Falcon side with Cap. Ant-Man unexpectedly appears and rounds out Captain’s side of the militia. Cap’s team believes the superheroes should have freedom to choose their rescue missions. "We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own," Captain tells Tony. Iron Man, witnessing the aftermath in the wake of the Avengers’ missions, believes that it is time for the Avengers to be put in check.  War Machine, Vision, Black Widow, and Black Panther agree with Iron Man. They recruit young Spider-Man to finish off their team. Will this be the end of the Avengers as we know it? Thus begins the Civil War.

Things get complicated from the multiple plots. Baron Zemo, a new villain, secretly forms a plan to wipe out the Avengers. Instead of attacking them directly, he plans to destroy them from the inside out. He begins by bombing the UN meeting and framing Bucky Barnes. Steve and Tony are pitted against each other. While Steve will try his best to prove Bucky’s innocence, Tony will do his best to turn Steve in, until Tony discovers the secret Steve has been keeping about the death of Tony’s parents and Bucky’s involvement in their deaths.  Tensions escalate after the UN bombing and everyone blames Winter Soldier. Steve knows the bombing was not done by Winter Soldier. Steve goes rogue and tries to clear his old friend's name. With these actions Cap is declared a fugitive of the U.S. Steve Rogers must prove his friend's innocence, prove the wrongdoings of the Sokovia Accords, and at the same time heal the rift between him and Tony Stark. Will this lead toward peace or war? Will it be Captain America’s undoing?

I was blown away when I saw this movie the day it was released. Captain America: Civil War was ranked number 6 in 2016 on the coveted Best of RT List. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 90% from critics and audience reviews. The Russo brothers did a stupendous job directing this film. The acting by Chris Evans (Captain America) and Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man) was masterful. The graphics in the battle scenes appeared as if it was happening in real life!  The inclusion of Ant-Man and Spider-man added creativity and humor. Ant Man crawls into Iron Man’s suit and disconnects wires. Ant-Man shocks the pants off of every hero when he grows from tiny to ginormous! He grasps a plane and hurls it towards Team Iron Man. Iron Man and War Machine over power Giant-Man by wrapping wire cables around his legs and ‘timber’ down he goes. These action sequences keep the audience hooked and are signature marks from screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. I would not expect anything less from a Marvel movie and Civil War came through once again! Adding Peter Parker as a lovable, sassy, spider-teen who has only been webbing for six months adds even more comic relief! It would have been fascinating if a deeper glimpse into Steve’s struggle was fleshed out.  I give Captain America: Civil War a 9 out of 10! If you have not had the pleasure of viewing this box-office action sci-fi, go to the nearest theater and watch this movie. This is a film you won’t want to miss!

A movie review for one of the greatest Marvel Studio Movies of all times!!!

thebookwrmgirl BRONZE, Major, Illinois
Nicely written review! I loved this movie too :)

LauraU said...
Great review! Summarizes the complex plot well and gives potential viewers the low down without giving it all away beforehand. Thank you.