God's Not Dead | Teen Ink

God's Not Dead

May 13, 2016
By jaymal10 BRONZE, Circleville, Ohio
jaymal10 BRONZE, Circleville, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

God’s Not Dead is a 2014 film produced by Pure Flix Entertainment. This movie appeals to pre-teens all the way to adults. God’s Not Dead was based on God’s Not Dead: Evidence for God in an Age of Uncertainty by Rice Broocks. This movie incorporates the troubles of living out your faith in our modern world.


This movie stars Shane Harper as the faith filled college student, John Wheaton and Kevin Sorbo as the controversial atheist, Professor Radisson. The cast of characters selected to portray the roles in this movie do a phenomenal job of drawing you into their beliefs. Throughout the course of the movie, each characters exemplify their role to the point of making you feel as if you are walking in their shoes.


In a supporting role, Kara, played by Cassidy Gifford portrays Josh’s girlfriend, also a believer that God’s not dead. The Reverend Dave is played by David A. R. White and he takes pride in sharing his faith with a college professor. Another character, Mina played by Cory Oliver, is diagnosed with cancer and has to deal with her boyfriend not caring.


This movie is built upon the belief that God is NOT dead and gives very supporting details on why this is true. The main character, Josh Wheaton, spends most of the movie researching and presenting his supporting details why God's not dead. But it’s met with opposition by his professor who has his own supporting details to the contrary.
Throughout the movie the producers do a great job of showing the internal struggles dealt with by the two main characters with opposing beliefs. Wheaton is faced with the trouble of choosing between defending his faith and maintaining his long-term relationship with his girlfriend. While Radisson has to fight the demons of his past that have caused his disbelief.


This movie is backed with the faith filled songs by the Contemporary Christian group “The Newsboys”, with the most popular song being the theme song with the same title as the movie. In this song the artists use powerful lyrics that parallel the religious views brought out in the movie by Josh Wheaton.
The producers keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the movie and keep you wondering if Radisson will ever come around to the side of belief in God. The end of the movie brings the viewers to a climactic event that is a real heart grabber and could also be considered a tear jerker by many.


God’s Not Dead was definitely a huge hit at the box office, so much so that it prompted the writers and producers to create a sequel titled God’s Not Dead 2’ which premiered in theaters April 1, 2016.

God’s Not Dead 2 was produced by David A. R. White, Russell Wolfe, Elizabeth Hatcher-Travis, Brittany Lefebvre, and Michael Scott. Throughout the movie a high school history teacher, Grace Wesley played by Hayley Orrantia, is challenged to keep her faith after being sent to trial for answering a question about Jesus. The producers did a great job of bringing out the importance of keeping your faith and sticking with what you believe in and stand for no matter the situation.


The movie takes place in the same location as the first movie but this time in a high school setting instead of a college. Critics show that God’s Not Dead 2 had better ratings than God’s Not Dead. The ratings for God’s Not Dead was on average 2.5/10 where God’s Not Dead 2 got a 4.5/10 rating on average.


The movie introduces a new character by the name of Jesse Metcalfe as Tom Endler, a young lawyer who defends Grace at trial. In keeping with the theme of the first movie, this movie also portrays the message that with each passing day, Christianity is being ripped from the hands of the people who believe.


The screenplays for both of these movies were very well written and casting was done with excellent taste and quality. Whether you are a believer in God or not, but especially as a Christian, this movie will appeal to your senses and give you strong reasons to ponder and maybe even research.