Captain America: Civil War | Teen Ink

Captain America: Civil War

By jotunnme SILVER, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
jotunnme SILVER, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

Captain America: Civil War starts out with a heart breaking scene that will make anyone with any true Bucky feels sob over- a fantastic way to draw in the audience but also catch you up if you missed Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The film has been reviewed as one of Marvel's best creations, topping both Iron Man and Captain America: The Winter Solider. Honestly, the film not only tops the two but beats both films combined. The movie will have you on the edge of your seat and crying the entire time (if you are a little too Marvel obsessed like myself). The cinematography was absolutely stunning and Sebastian Stan looked like a greek god the entire time- not very surprising though. The plot was so well written that you actually side with both Iron Man and Captain America, which I did not expect the film would be able to do to my serious siding of Captain America. Watching the film for the first time though I found two major flaws- well one but my liberal activist heart says two. Firstly, Steve Rogers is madly in love with Peggy Carter in the first Captain America film- okay, I get that. Peggy and Steve have chemistry that no one can deny but Steve ALSO has chemistry with his best friend, Bucky. I personally have always wanted the two to be together; the acting AND the plot hints at this being possible. In Civil War, however, they force Steve to be with a woman who shares no on-screen chemistry with him. It not only proved to be unnecessary plot wise but made no logical sense in the acting choice as well. If anything, the film should have avoided any romantic subplots since Marvel is too scared to have any openly LGBTQ+ characters on the big screen, even if there is chemistry. Secondly, I am pretty set on the idea that Marvel is trying to erase Black Widow as a main character and using her as a supportive one instead. The film shows flashbacks to Bucky's torture days- days he shared with Black Widow in the comic books. In the film, Black Widow is not seen in these flashbacks and does not receive the same super-solider serum Bucky does. Marvel has plans for movies up until 2020 but still does not have Black Widow on the line-up. So when do we get to know her backstory? Oh, in Age of Ultron when her only concern is that she can not have children. How quaint, Marvel. The fans deserve more of a backstory to one of Marvel's best characters ever written in the comic book universe other than her being upset over the fact that she can not have biological children. Overall, the film surpassed my expectations and honestly was a truly amazing film. I suggest everyone see it for those who love comic books as much as I do. Also, there are two end credit scenes- you will thank me later.