Nick and Norah | Teen Ink

Nick and Norah

By Joy Kicinski BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Joy Kicinski BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist Hits a Sweet Note

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is a pleasant surprise. Compared to Michael Cera's previous movies, Juno and Superbad, Playlist shows the awkwardness of the teen years, but instead of the immature and sarcastic story lines, it is set around a more mature set, as both of the main characters were off to prestigious universities at the end of their senior year. Playlist has a great soundtrack and a wonderful cast.

Three weeks, two days, and 23 hours since Tris broke up with Nick (Michael Cera) and now she's at the nightclub where Nick's band, the 'Jerk-Offs' is performing. New Jersey high school student, Norah, played by Kat Dennings, is at that same nightclub, where she asks the heartbroken musician to pose as her boyfriend for five minutes. Turns out, Norah has been, in secret, taking mix CDs (the most recent ' 'Road to Closure, Vol. 12') intended for Nick's ex-girlfriend, Tris (Alexis Dziena), who balances boys like a person balances a checkbook. They hit it off instantly with their love of music.

Norah's best gal pal, Caroline (Ari Graynor) keeps the audience laughing at her random, drunken antics, while Nick, Norah, Nick's bandmates, Thom and Dev (Aaron Yoo and Rafi Gavron), and their new gay friend, Jonathan B. Wright, search for the 'Where's Fluffly's' secret performance in a canary-yellow Yugo, which eventually stalls in downtown New York City. Traveling through Manhattan's Lower East Side during their evening adventure, while listening to tunes, Nick, sarcastic and shy, and Norah, with her lack of self-esteem, are a perfect pair, even though only Thom and Dev, Nick's gay friends, can see that.

Teens and twenty-something audiences will enjoy the movie, especially ones who liked films such as John Hughes' Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club. The romantic story with subtle comedy will not only appeal to girls, but guys as well, since it relates to Nick and how he plans on getting over his ex ' by starting a relationship with Norah. This movie shows the period that every teenager experiences ' the transition period between high school and college.

Based on the popular novel by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, the script, like the book, is honest and truthful about what teens do and say. The book surveys the teenage experience with a variety of characters ' gay and straight, cautious and reckless, insider and outsider, hipster and geek, and drunk and sober. Because almost everyone can relate to the characters, one may wish for more conflict, but the movie is so enjoyable, it is not really missed. The teens portrayed seem like good kids, except for maybe Caroline, who is only looking for a little attention.

The movie, was released onto DVD and Blu-Ray in February! It is rated PG-13 (parents strongly cautioned), due to profanity, sexual references and situations, and underage drinking. Running time is 1 hour, 29 minutes.