Tommy Boy | Teen Ink

Tommy Boy

March 4, 2016
By nvanz GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
nvanz GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Oh my gosh we killed Bambi! ” Those words were spoken by the outrageously funny Chris Farley, in the buddy comedy “Tommy Boy”. This movie is a comical masterpiece with a plot that enticed me stay for more than just the laughs. We get the pleasure of following Richard (David Spade), the wisecracking assistant of Tommy (Chris Farley), as they go on a wildly unpredictable business trip to save Tommy’s company. What made this movie so interesting and fun to watch is the chemistry between the two main characters, the plot of the movie, and how it squares up compared to other comedies.


The chemistry between the two main characters is phenomenal and is one of the reasons, in my opinion, that this movie is so fun to watch. At first the two main characters did not get along well at all, but as the movie progressed I got to see the growth in their “friendship”. By friendship I don’t mean the kind where they each are always nice to each other. I am talking about the friendship where when one gets hit over the head with a two by four, and after waking up, go have a nice lunch. Not the ordinary type of friendship huh, but it works for them and that’s what makes this movie so outrageously funny. There are constant jabs between each of the characters as well. Moviegoers get the chance to see the very structured and sarcastic jabs that Richard delivers, also the fumbled not so majestic deliveries of Tommy. I found myself at times laughing so hard my stomach hurt, but this can be expected when there is a comedy duo like no other. The jokes in this movie were also expertly written and executed. This movie was not like most comedies that rely on toilet humor, these jokes I felt were actually well thought out.


This movie had a decent plot, but the plot was nowhere near as deep and complex as “Jurassic Park” or most James Bond movies. The plot of this movie in no way, shape or form the best; however, it did have enough of a plot to keep me watching for more than just the amazing jokes. This movie is not one that I would watch for the plot, this is the kind of movie that I would watched for the superstar duo that is Chris Farley and David Spade. Now as I stated earlier this movie is about two unexperienced  businessmen who are sent on a trip to save Tommy’s deceased father’s company. The audience gets to follow them through every misadventure from “killing Bambi” to running out of a car full of “bees”. The main plot is semi-interesting in itself, but the sub-plots are also very well developed. Now I don’t want to spoil anything, but there are a few love interests that anyone would, let’s just say, surprised by.


Compared to other some of my other favorite comedies, this one definitely stands out and that is what makes it one of my favorites . This movie has the feeling of a very intricate SNL skit, which makes senses because David Spade and Chris Farley were both a part of of the SNL cast at one point in their career. Compared to other comedies this movie stands out in my opinion. There is little to no toilet humor, which gives the movie more of a mature sense of humor and makes it appeal to a wider variety of audiences. Each joke delivery felt like it had a purpose to it and they weren’t cliche. Most of the jokes were very original and each one added to the story flawlessly. It also helps to have a good cast, so they can execute the story as well and I  think the producer hit the nail right on the head with this one.


From wonderful chemistry between the two main characters, to a decent plot, and the fact that this movie definitely stands out compared to other comedies, all of those reasons and more make this one of my all time favorite comedies and movies. This movie, in my opinion, is one of the best comical masterpieces and it really set the bar for other comedies like it. I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants a really good laugh. Now Bambi is not the only thing they killed with this movie (no animals were harmed), they killed almost everything about it from the execution of the jokes, to the stand out performances of David Spade and Chris Farley. Now on a scale of one to ten, I would give this a holy shnikes (about an eight) because of the well executed jokes and the interesting plot line.