Unbroken | Teen Ink

Unbroken

By MarienaRenae SILVER, Park Rapids, Minnesota
MarienaRenae SILVER, Park Rapids, Minnesota

Even though I didn’t see much of the movie in class, I had already seen this movie in theaters so I know what goes on in the duration of it. Louis Zamperini, the main character in this movie, goes through many hardships. Being an immigrant from Italy, he had a hard time growing up and being accepted into his community. His father was abusive, but only when he felt Louis deserved it. His mother never learned to speak English. The only one who was there for him was his brother, Pete Zamperini. His brother was a track star and he believed in Louis when nobody else did.

Louis got into track when he was young and he was so good at it, that he later got selected to be a part of the US olympic team. He didn’t win, but he had a major comeback in his race and he knew that he was destined to do something great with his life. After the olympics, he was drafted into the military during World War II. He was an air force pilot. He was sent on a rescue mission with a few other soldiers when their plane crashed into the ocean, where they spent the next 47 days in a lifeboat. They were then picked up by some Japanese military men. Louis and his fellow soldiers then spent the remainder of the war in a Japanese concentration camp, where Prisoners of War were basically sent to work until they died from starvation, exhaustion, or dehydration.

This movie is a great work by director, Angelina Jolie. The goal was to display the efforts of an American hero and I believe she did way more than that with the making of this film.