The Shawshank Redemption | Teen Ink

The Shawshank Redemption

February 24, 2016
By JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Shawshank Redemption was written and directed by Frank Darabont and released in 1994. This classic tale tells the story of Andy Dufresne, a banker convicted of two accounts of murder and sentenced to back-to-back life sentences for the victims. He is sent to Maine's Shawshank State Penitentiary where he is to live out the rest of his life. At this point, the viewer can make the assumption that Andy Dufresne really did not commit murder. Andy Dufresne knows he was framed but, he doesn't try to hatch a scheme to get back at the person who sent him to prison, he just wants to live a peaceful life away and live his dream. He becomes friends with Ellis Boyd Redding, otherwise known as "Red" who helps with anything he needs to break out of Shawshank. Throughout this movie you eventually feel immersed and feel like you are inside the prison firsthand. It gives you a reason to be attached to these characters and that they aren't there to fill in some holes, but actually there to advance the plot. There is meaning in everything and everyone is connected one way or another. Conflict arises when Andy gets a chance to prove his innocence to the Warden and a possible court, he is denied starting a chain of events leading to payback. This gripping movie has you guessing what will happen while trying to figure out what is inside Andy's mind. What will Dufresne do next? How is he going to escape Shawshank? This thriller will leave you off thinking that all has been done right. As I've said previously, this movie is a classic and will be remembered and regarded as one the greatest movies of all time. I truly recommend this to anyone looking for a character-driven drama that they will love for years to come. Also, this movie is intended for mature audiences ages 17 and older and is very explicit. I do encourage everyone old enough to try to see why this film is one of the greatest that will ever be made.