Seven Pounds This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Seven Pounds” is a movie about self-sacrifice and love, starring the incredible Will Smith and Rosario Dawson. This deeply moving tale, nominated for six awards, will have viewer contemplating its deeper meaning and captivated by its genuine beauty.

The movie begins as Ben Thomas (Smith), an IRS agent, visits a variety of people to collect their taxes. Ben is an ­interesting character who seems merciless when he criticizes and insults a blind meat salesman. However, he later helps rescue an elderly woman in a nursing home. This seemingly contradictory character of Ben continues for much of the film.

All these random encounters have the audience confused about the direction the movie will take. Not until halfway through does the viewer learn that Ben Thomas is really Tim Thomas, and has been using his brother’s IRS credentials. A flashback reveals that Tim caused a terrible car accident by using his cell phone while driving, and the collision killed seven people, including his new wife.

This tragic memory haunts Tim, and his grief compels him to seek out and test the character of seven individuals to see if they are deserving of gifts he wishes to give them. In this way, he hopes to atone for the seven lives he ruined. Along the way, Tim falls in love with Emily Posa (Dawson), who needs a heart transplant.

This movie has a bittersweet ending that will leave viewers heartbroken but satisfied. It also forces the audience to work to put the pieces together and even examine their own lives, unlike many current superficial films. The combination of extraordinary acting, moving content, and a captivating plot make the theme of sacrifice in “Seven Pounds” one to remember.

saranova_92 said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm:
What a compelling review! I saw this too, and while for me the ending brought me to tears, it left me in shock....it was so sad that he felt it had to end that way. Overall it was just such a moving masterpiece, the kind that changes your outlook on life and acceptance of others

aj182 said...
I like how you structured your sentences. you made me want to keep reading more. I also like how you didnt give away the ending.

Sha-Sha said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 9:44 am:

I Love This Movie, At The End Its So Sad When He Dies :( Woops <<< Sorry :)

But Its A Grate Moovie I LOVE WILL SMITH!!!

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm:
This was a fantastic movie.  Don't watch it if you're embarassed to cry!

XCLover said...
Aug. 10, 2009 at 7:07 am:
This movie is fantastic and your review was excellent. I cried for hours after seeing this movie!

Kaitlyn W. said...
Jul. 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm:
love this movie...bawled at the end

Luvee y'all!!xD said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 8:16 pm:
I didn't watch the movie yet, but you make it seem very dramatic and sad....:(I don't know if I should watch the movie, should I???

Cambei said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have to say you painted a good picture about it. I love the jab about "other superficial movies" and this is admittedly the first piece, in any category, on this website that I've genuinely enjoyed. 5 stars! Keep writing good stuff like this and more!

~*Sunshine*~ said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 11:59 am:
this movie was sooo sad...i was balling through the last half hour

Valkyrie_123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 6:09 am:
will smith is such a good actor

*peace* said...
May 30, 2009 at 4:07 am:
This movie was amazing and it may seem confusing but it had you so tied up in it, you didn't want to stop watching it.

.:ArleneNicole:. said...
May 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm:
I loved the movie, and I think you made a very nice and accurate review. Great job!

hbeats4u2 replied...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 2:02 pm :
I also loved the movie. This review is perfect! The movie left me with a tear-stricken face. I absolutley loved it.