Transformers | Teen Ink

Transformers

By Jenna Mierisch BRONZE, Newburgh, New York
Jenna Mierisch BRONZE, Newburgh, New York

Article Review for Transformers the Movie

By: Jenna Mierisch

While believable characters are hard to come by in Transformers, the effects are staggering and the action is exhilarating. In a galaxy far, far away, a metallic voice recounts the catastrophic history of beings from his planet. One race for robots ache for power leads to a planet-ending conflagration. And it sends the bad 'bot, Decepticon Megatron (voiced by Hugo Weaving), to Earth in pursuit of the All Spark, a cube of untold energy. The fate of life on Earth rests with whichever bots find the cube. Cut to the sands of Qatar bleached so white they might be confused with the Arctic Circle, where Sam's great- great-grandfather explored the snow and ice where Megatron had become alive once again. Now Sam Witwicky (voiced by Shia Labeouf) and Mikaela Banes (voiced by Megan Fox) have to help the Optigons get the all-spark before the Decepticons can get their hold onto it and turn human weapons against the planet.
Transformers wastes no time getting right to the incredible robot action we're all hungering for, and rushes directly from the credits to eye-popping, rampant robot destruction. The battle between Megatron and Optimus Prime for the all spark scene is especially exciting and always held my attention.
There are too many great scenes and surprises to ruin here, so I'll leave the specifics out, but I will say that Michael Bay, the director has delivered a film that stays true to the source material while updating the franchise for a modern audience. The scenes with the Autobots rolling down the highway in vehicle mode look great, and while the Decepticons don't have a lot of character development, StarScream does great in every scene he's in, including a breathtakingly-shot dogfight with a group of F-22 Raptors.
This is a must see if you're in the mood for a strong, loud summer movie. Fans of the Transformers and newcomers alike are going to have a lot of fun.