Mr. Holmes | Teen Ink

Mr. Holmes

By Artziart BRONZE, Elmwood Park, Illinois
Artziart BRONZE, Elmwood Park, Illinois

As a fan of Sherlock Holmes, this new movie starring Ian McKellen was a pleasant change from the action-based, high tension scenes of the Robert Downey Junior and Benedict Cumberbatch versions. Based on Mitch Cullin’s novel, A Slight Trick of the Mind, the movie has a significant lack of explosions in comparison to previous films. Instead, Mr. Holmes focuses on an older Sherlock Holmes who is struggling against his weaker body and faulty memory. Holmes is helped by his housekeeper Mrs. Munro, played by Laura Linney, and her son, played by Milo Parker. The story is comprised of Holmes’ present and flashbacks to the recent and distant past as he attempts to write his own story about the case that ended his career as a detective.

This new interpretation of Holmes gives him far more humanity than other interpretations have as he shows true care for both Roger and the effects of his own actions. Mr. Holmes also accurately interprets memory loss and the struggle that poses for independent people, while still having a positive outlook and no tears or outbursts which are common while portraying memory loss. The characterization and the lack of stereotyping in Mr. Holmes was evident and effective in the telling of his story. The costume, scenic, and makeup departments also showed their hand in subtle but important ways to effect the plot. The beautiful and period pieces of the clothing gave depth to the character’s class and personality. The scenery was well shot and appropriate from the city life during the more active parts of Holmes’ past to the still calm country of Holmes’ present.

The plot was comprehensive and easy to follow despite the changes between the past and the present. The dialogue and situations seem a bit unrealistic, though this has always been written off in Sherlock Holmes films as a quirk in his personality. Rather than allowing the dialogue to pull the audience out of the experience, it submerges them in the whole of Sherlock Holmes’ eccentricities. This also allowed for some heart-warming moments between Roger and Holmes, who Roger views as a mentor or idol.

I would not recommend this movie for anyone hoping for action, fights, or any kind of speed. This is a slow paced movie to complement the older version of Mr. Holmes. Caution should also be taken for anyone who has a fear of bees as they are shown throughout the movie as they are one of Sherlock Holmes’ hobbies as a retired man. However, if the deductive and mysterious nature of the Holmes genre were the most intriguing parts, this movie would be interesting if still a bit slow.

Overall this movie, though slow paced, was a perfect movie for Holmes lovers and families with children who do not need lots of action to be entertained. The suspense is interesting as it mostly comes from the breaks between stories rather than moments of intense action, an interesting twist for a modern mystery. The characters and their struggles can speak to people of all ages and positions in life while still conveying an interesting and cohesive plot.