Coraline | Teen Ink

Coraline

By Luke Altman BRONZE, Florence, Mississippi
Luke Altman BRONZE, Florence, Mississippi

If you've ever read Neil Gaiman's young adult book Coraline, the news is there is a movie adaptation in stop motion animation, directed by Henry Selick, director of 1993's critical and commercial hit The Nightmare Before Christmas. For those who have not read the book, it is about a girl named Coraline Jones(Dakota Fanning),who has just moved to a rundown apartment complex somewhere in the country. She has always wished for a better world. One night she finds a door in an unused room that during the day has nothing behind it but brick wall but during the night it becomes the doorway to a world much like her house. In fact, it's exactly like her own house exept that it's improved and everyone has buttons for eyes. Then things take a turn for the worse when she hears she is expected to have buttons for eyes too. Shortly afterward,she learns that her "other mother" is really a banshee-ish women who traps people by luring them with improved lives then persuades them to sew buttons in their eyes. If they refuse, she does it anyway by force and kills them. Coraline narrowly escapes but the "other mother" has taken her real parents and trapped them. To save them, Coraline must endear obstacles like large beetle-lish guards, snapping plants and cursed snow-domes-and most of,bring courage to her life.
I saw it in 3-D format,pretty much the only way to see it and enjoy it. The visuals are stunning, the acting is good and overall it's a very enjoyable, engaging, sometimes poignant and overall just a very worth-seeing film.