The Avengers Age of Ultron | Teen Ink

The Avengers Age of Ultron

By Andrew Ayers SILVER, Dennison, Minnesota
Andrew Ayers SILVER, Dennison, Minnesota

A god, an old man, a modern day Robin Hood without the stealing, a monster, a playboy billionaire philanthropist, a woman who’s good with guns, and Samuel L. Jackson. Anyone who likes one or more of what’s listed above needs to go and see Marvel Avengers Age of Ultron. In this movie the cast is played by:
Chris Evans as Captain America
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man/Tony Stark
Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow/ Natasha Romanoff
Mark Ruffalo as Hulk/ Bruce Banner
Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye
Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury

So here’s basically the plot, Age of Ultron brings back the old cast with a brand new struggle for our heros. Not aliens but an AI computer program created by Tony Stark called Ultron. Ultron was originally meant to be a defense program to protect the world from when the aliens from the first Avengers came back. Ultron ends up going haywire and ends up in this robot body of Tony’s and tries to “protect” the Earth by eliminating the humans. In this movie there are two twins from the Ukraine whose parents died during the bombings that had happened some 20 years earlier in their home town. They go to work for Ultron in the beginning. The brother and sister both got injected with a special chemical that gave them both powers. The boy got super speed, and the girl got the power to go into people’s minds and mess with them. She could make them see visions that never happened and could make them think their best friend was against them. The bomb that had killed their parents was a Stark Inc bomb, which Tony Stark had created when he used to build military weaponry. They went out for revenge. They went out and made the Avengers turn against each other, making the Hulk and Iron Man fight, and all the others see visions of bad things that never happened. Ultron is a base of Tony’s personal butler and computer Jarvis.  Anyone who has seen any of the Iron Man movies or the first Avengers movie will know that Tony Stark created an AI computer system called Jarvis that is with him all the time. It’s in every single electronic device of Tony’s, from his computers and small machines, to  all of his Iron Man suits. Jarvis is an inanimate being, so he really isn’t a person or real shape, he is an AI computer program. Well, at least he was. In this movie we finally see Jarvis in two different forms, once as him being a big ball that is his programming, and secondly as an actual bipedal being that looks much like a man. Once Ultron gets out and about the Avengers need to stop him. Ultron had been working closely with the twins the whole time and had gotten careless with them. They end up seeing what he is really doing, and the twins don’t like it. So then they go to the Avengers and try to help them stop Ultron. So when Ultron had gotten out six weeks earlier in the movie, he had tried to erase Jarvis, so Jarvis went into hiding in the internet for those six weeks. Tony, with the help of Thor, secretly uploads Jarvis to a body to help them fight Ultron. Once they get Jarvis into a body form, they really go after Ultron. They track him down in the twins’ hometown in the Ukraine. Once they find him, they figure out his plot of raising up the entire town, with all the people on it, and dropping it back down to Earth. He can do this with the tesseract, an alien stone that has amazing powers and energy. He places it in a church in the middle of the city and as soon as someone touches it when the city is in the sky, the city will come down and destroy everyone on Earth. The Avengers fight off the hordes of robots that Ultron made his own personal army of and get everybody off the floating city with the help of S.H.I.E.L.D commander Nick Fury. In the end the boy of the twins dies saving Captain America, and the Avengers stop the city from falling after a robot had touched the tesseract. The rest live, and Jarvis takes Ultron away from Earth into space. When Ultron had talked to Jarvis he had said “The humans are doomed”, and Jarvis responded with “Yes… but a thing isn’t beautiful because it lasts....”. Past that the movie ends with the regular and they live happily ever after cliché.

Now this movie was amazing. I loved how writer and director Joss Whedon  added new characters and new concepts to the Avengers. In the movie he added in a kind of romance between Natasha Romanoff and Bruce Banner. He shows them flirting with each other all throughout the movie, and Joss made it so the only way to calm down the Hulk was with Natasha going and talking to him and saying “Hey big guy. Looks like the sun is setting”. That is a great example of how the cast really communicates with each other and have really an amazing dialog.  Joss made it so the characters are more like real people instead of these in-human superheros. More proof of this is in the beginning, with a really strong opening scene of a big battle where the viewer gets introduced to the characters. It’s not just a typical superheroes smacking around the bad guys scene, it’s also a really funny scene as well. The Avengers all start throwing in witty comments like when Stark swears Captain America says “Hey, watch your mouth!”. This happens all during the whole movie, and probably most with Tony Stark. In the first Avengers Stark calls himself a “Playboy billionaire philanthropist”. He carries this all throughout the movie by acting like an arrogant snob. Yet he manages to make viewers love him through his amazing sense of humor and smart comments. His sense of humor can turn any moment into a funny moment. Not only is Tony funny, all the Avengers are funny, even Ultron is funny. He makes smart comments like Tony because, well… he is a creation of Tony’s. Joss creates a movie where anybody and everybody has funny little comments and lines. When the girl twin tells a man that she can make him see what he truly fears and he responds with “You know what I really fear? I fear cuttlefish!” Just little lines like that really make the movie into what it is, and those comments are thrown in everywhere in the movie. Some of the best comments are thrown in perfectly with the combat scenes. Not only are the battle scenes funnier than in the first Avengers, they are more creative as well. They add in new moves like when Thor hits Cap’s shield and takes out a whole squad of men plus a tank and sends them to kingdom come. My favorite battle scene is when Tony Stark breaks out his Hulkbuster suit and fight the Hulk when he goes on a crazy rampage after being brainwashed. He just continued to amaze me throughout the whole movie, never wasting a chance to make something good, into something great.

The Avengers Age of Ultron in my personal opinion was better than the first Avengers movie. The movie is PG-13 mainly for the small comments where characters swear but make people laugh hysterically at the comments. Joss Whedon managed to create a 141 minute movie that never stopped and got boring. He kept the viewers entertained for every single second of the movie with a variety of concepts. Romance, action and comedy all blended in with a superhero genre that really did make it a movie for everyone. That’s why the Avengers Age of Ultron made $187.7 million dollars box office on the first day, but still falling short of the Avengers which made $200.3 million box office on the first day. The movie entertained people that day, and will continue to entertain people for a long time to come. This movie has the potential to become a timeless classic, that everybody should see. I mean who doesn’t love a god, an old man, a modern day Robin Hood without the stealing, a monster, a playboy billionaire philanthropist, a woman who’s good with guns, or Samuel L. Jackson?