Keith | Teen Ink

Keith

May 12, 2015
By Claudiaaaaaaa BRONZE, La Canada Flintridge, California
Claudiaaaaaaa BRONZE, La Canada Flintridge, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Keith, a movie released in September of 2008, directed by Todd Kessler is a very emotional drama, that was one of my favorite childhood movies.  The main character, Jesse McCartney also happens to be a very attractive singer and actor that every kid or teenage girl was obsessed with at the time the movie came out, making it even more enjoyable to watch when it first came out. The story revolves round a teenage girl at the age of 17, named Natalie who on the outside seems to have a very put together, fun and successful life for herself.  She is very popular and she plays tennis in order to obtain a scholarship to attend Duke University.  She seems to have everything all put together. 


However, one day she gets assigned to be lab partners with a guy named Keith.  At first she thinks he is a little strange, and does not really like him, but even so, Keith persistently asks her to hang out with him.  Eventually they start to hang out, even if she does so reluctantly, until gradually they become really good friends.  Keith, however is not an average high school guy, and as they hang out more Natalie gets a glimpse into how other people outside her social circle and what is considers “cool” or “normal.”  This changes something in Natalie, and suddenly her perfect life seems to show its imperfections.  The audience sees that infact it is not really Natalies dream, and life goal to go to Duke, but it is her father, trying to live his dream through her.  Her life was never really her in own hands and finally through her realizations she takes control of her life.  Later in the movie as Keith starts to get distant from her, and then stop seeing her altogether, she tracks Keith down, and finds out he is not who he said he was.  He does not even live in the house that he told her.  She finds out more and more about his life, not knowing at all why he would do something like this, until she is made aware that he had cancer.  Things start to fall into place in her head although she is crushed.  Keith tries to leave altogether to let her live a normal life, but in the end Natalie vows to stay with him until he dies.  Although this seems to be a depressing ending the movie continues, showing her on the road, looking ahead at a road “full of opportunities” and sets off, not to Duke, but to the places Keith wanted to go. 


This movie surpassed my expectations for it, because usually singers who also decide to be in their own movie, tend to not be very experienced actors.  It is the expectation that the celebrate with bring in the excitement and audience to the movie, and not the plot of the movie itself.  However, to this day this movie is one of my favorites, that I have rewatched several times. 


The best aspects of the movie were how Keith really woke Natalie up from the safe and ordinary life she was living.  She didn’t even know there was any other way to live her life until Keith came into her life and turned it upside down.   The script was pretty basic, but the first time I saw the movie it was quite a shock to find out Keith had cancer, and I remember crying heavily the first time I saw it, especially because it was so unexpected.  It is a classic drama and romantic movie, but one worth watching.   The only criticism I have to offer is that it dragged on a little long, as Natalie was searching for answers about Keith.  However, some may say it just added suspense to the movie. 


This movie is a favorite of mine and I recommend that anyone into the more sappy romance movies watch it.   This movie would appeal to most girls from pre-teen to young adults, because it was build for a younger audience but I think a person of any age can appreciate this movie.  Readers can find more information online, and even watch it or find a brief summary on Netflix.