Home | Teen Ink

Home

May 5, 2015
By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
58 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon


Animated movie, Home, staring the voices of Rihanna, Jim Parsons, and Jennifer Lopez, was one of the best movies I’ve seen all year.  Yes I’ll admit that I am sixteen, and I went to see this movie meant for little kids.  But I a firm believer that children movies are often more relatable and understandable to adults or in my case, teens.  There were many parts of the movie that perfected depicted common struggles and issues in today’s society.  In such a simple way, it was able to speak on arrogance, bullying, and the power of friendship, family, and home.  


The movie follows the tale of Oh, an alien, whose race, the Boov, are constantly running from planet to planet trying to escape another alien race, the Gorg.  Oh is an excited, innocent, lovable alien, yet sadly he is always misunderstood and shunned by his own kind.  After landing on Earth, Oh encounters a human girl named Tip.  While at first hesitant of each other, they are forced to work to together out of desperation.  They teach each other new things. 


But some things don’t change.  Oh is still a Boov, and Tip is still a human.  Also, the rest of the Boov have proceeded to invade Earth and relocate the humans, so their friendship is impossible and even illegal. 


Home’s deeper meaning touched me in many ways.  As conflict is resolved, the characters learn lessons that I have forgotten.  I highly recommend it to anyone (if you think you’re too old just watch it with a younger sibling, that’s what I did).  I will also add, thanks to Rihanna, the soundtrack was great. 


The author's comments:

tbh- I don't know why I loved it so much, but I did