Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom | Teen Ink

Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom

April 7, 2015
By Anonymous

“Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom,” an amazing film about Mandela’s life. This is a very specific childhood, young adult hood and most of all when he was an adult. Mandela’s whole life started with him playing sword fight as a kid. As well of him going to school with the name Rolihlahala. The teacher wanted to change it to be America and changed it to Nelson Mandela. Even Though this movie is based on a true story, they made it so good that you basically know his life.

This movie of the main character that plays Mandela (Idris Elba) had decided to run away from his family. Then became a missing kid in his young Adulthood. Mandela was born July 18, 1918. So for Mandela to run away was shocking to the family. When Mandela was a child at the age of 9 his father had died and they moved to another village before he ran away.

When Mandela ran away he wanted to change to ANC of South Africa where he was from. He decided to threaten the government in all ways and he went to trail and ended up going to jail for 27 years, Could have been longer.

Mandela had a wife before all this and protested for Mandela’s released after those 27 years. Everybody was angry of Mandela’s prison when he was all that time for so long.

When Mandela was released he had a speech to the whole South Africa to stop violence and protesting and everyone seemed okay. But everybody was happy about his released and his speech.

So Mandela then became big in South Africa and everybody were finally happy and had peace with people. But as for Mandela he was a happy man after he was released. I would definitely recommend “Mandela: a long walk to freedom.” It’s one of the most detailed realistic, real movie based on a true story.


The author's comments:

Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom a good film for people out there learning about Mandela.