Words and Pictures | Teen Ink

Words and Pictures

By Franc_Krasta BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Franc_Krasta BRONZE, Tirana, Other

Words and Pictures is a movie about literature, art and love. It’s about two remarkable teachers that start this “artificial war” of what is more important, words or pictures. John Marcus is an English teacher, not a typically old – fashioned and strict teacher. He communicates, challenges and inspires his students, however, he has lost his creative impulse and is fighting a hopeless war with alcohol but in the end he manages to have some self – control and defeat the temptation to drink for the sake of his son and the love of his life, Dina Delsanto.

Dina Delsanto, on the other hand, is an abstract, prickly art teacher and famous painter who suffer from A.R (rheumatoid arthritis), a decease that weakens your bones. She is attractive, intelligent, sensitive and really talented. She thinks words are lies, traps, and Mark responds with declaring this inane war to her, to prove the school that the codified, powerful words that began a country are crucially important. Because of her decease, she is isolated, separated from society and the only person who helps her is Sabin, her sister.

The students, which will decide which has more value, more impact, are enjoying this war and this rivalry is improving the reputation of the Kroyden School, with their amazing essays, poems and paintings. In the end, during the assembly, John Marcus gives a surprising, wonderful speech. His conclusion is that you cannot separate words and pictures. It’s not true that a picture is worth a thousand lies; it’s not true that words are optional or a poem doesn’t need a picture. The truth is, together and united they make us feel. Together they are impregnable.