The Maze Runner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner

By KaylaMelhouse SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KaylaMelhouse SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Never stop running, always be alert, bring back hope. Those are three things Thomas learned when he woke up in a dark box with no memories whatsoever. He was greeted with fifty heads staring down at him when the metal box he was in opened. Later, he learned that they were in some kind of huge maze as an experiment to find a cure for a mutated virus. Unexpectedly, a  day after Thomas comes to the maze, another person arrives. Two people came a day apart when usually one person comes a month. It was also a girl. The first girl thats ever been in the maze. And that alone changes everything.

The full cast is absolutely flawless. Dylan O’brien as the main character, Thomas, is a great choice. Dylan O’brien is the perfect Thomas because he’s everything the book said he was, Brave, smart, and sarcastic. At some points in the movie he made me smile or laugh, but he could also be totally serious at the times when he needed to be. Kaya Scodelario plays Teresa in the movie. She’s a great actress and plays her character perfectly. She made me laugh a lot because of her snarky attitude. Will Poulter is actually a really nice guy in real life, but he plays a mean person, named Gally, in the movie . From the moment Thomas arrives in the maze,they don’t get along. Within the first few days they had gotten into a fight that just makes them hate each other even more. Which to me spices the movie up quite a bit.

The director of The Maze Runner, Wes Ball, made the three hundred eighty-six page novel into a one hour and fifty three minute movie that came out on September 19, 2014. It made $32.5 million by the third day it was out, almost exceeding its $34 million production budget. By January 1, 2015, a little over three months since its release date, the movie has made more than $102 million. In the first week The Maze Runner was out in theaters it was ranked number one in sales. The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials is scheduled to come out in theaters approximately a year after The Maze Runner on September 18, 2015.

All in all I think The Maze Runner is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, absolutely spectacular. I was kept on the edge of my seat throughout the whole length of the movie. The storyline was spectacular, audio and visual was awesome, and the props were spot on. I almost always like reading the book over watching the movie, but with The Maze Runner I’m leaning more towards the movie. As I watched the movie I found that when I was reading the book I pictured a lot of things to look so much differently than they did in the movie, definitely in a good way. The movie made me understand the book better. And it just baffles me how the author of The Maze Runner, James Dashner, could even think of half the things in the book, and even more so that Wes Ball could make his wild thoughts into a movie. Everything about it was so fresh and original and I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to buy a movie ticket to watch it again.