Birdman | Teen Ink

Birdman MAG

January 15, 2015
By tab_is_fab SILVER, West Palm Beach, Florida
tab_is_fab SILVER, West Palm Beach, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Thank the film gods for “Birdman”! It is a beautifully artistic film, and those appear in cinemas only every so often. This is an epic story of the inward and outward effects of the ego on main character Riggan Thomson (Michael Keaton). His journey through this war is a sad yet beautiful experience. This could well be Keaton’s most outstanding performance yet. Riggan comes to terms with the truth about his career and reputation but risks it all to leave his soul on stage. His character embodies the struggle and devotion one man has to his art, his audience, and himself.

This film is colored with the dim lights and shadows of Broadway, the inward madness of an actor, and the shining, beautiful applause that comes after it all. It is brought to life by a most original score, using drumbeats to heighten the energy and emotions experienced by its characters.

Director, producer, and cowriter Alejandro G. Iñarritú made an unusual and much-needed film that revives the true power and inspiration that audiences hope for. The cast is the best of 2014, and “Birdman” shows acting in its purest, most beautiful form. Iñarritú is the model of a true artist and filmmaker. His ideas about art and film should inspire anyone who watches this film.

“Birdman” received two Golden Globe Awards – Best Actor (for Keaton’s performance) and Best Screenplay – and four Oscars: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Cinematography. Watch and support this brilliant film and enjoy the creative thoughts it will leave you with!

This film is rated R.