MockingJay Part 1 | Teen Ink

MockingJay Part 1

December 25, 2014
By Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other
Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other
36 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" tells an intriguing tale of how one girl fulfills and becomes the ultimate symbol that changed the world and ignited a rebellion against the Capitol.

 

Although as interesting as it may sound, the film falls short because of the 2 part cash grabbing finale formula that has become a recent trend.

 

If you are planning on going into the theaters to see a satisfying movie that will end on a high note then you are completely wrong.


Having read the books a thought kept circling through my mind before watching: "This movie will surely end in an unsatisfying manner." having read and realized how short and quite mediocre the book was, and as predicted it ended at the climax and will force you to give more of your money for next year.

 

The movie started well and was faithful to the source material. However, when the climax was nearing it all just fell apart. You have scenes which will bore you and just doesn't get you engaged well enough.

 

JLaw and the veteran actors did well and gave their best, but they do little to save the movie. Visuals improved way better than previous films and were one of the most notable improvements. Shaky cams return and ruin the experience for the most part when there is a tense moment.

 

As for the action, if you've seen the trailers then you've seen most of it. The only high point of the film is the propaganda between the Capitol and the rebellion. It was clever the way the two parties threw their propagandas at each other. Without the propaganda there would be no plot whatsoever rather than the annoying goal of saving Peeta and the love triangle.

 

The film also spends too much time on the bunker rather than showing more of the rebellion and interesting stuff out there. The reason for this is because it's a two part film, of course they'll show more of the interesting parts in the finale. This is the result of a clever excuse for a money grabbing two parter in which you will have to wait for another year to see the next one and for them to steal more of your cash. If this was just 1 whole film, then it could have been better on it's own right judging by the length and simple narrative of the book.

 

But since studios are hungry for money, the movie feels like a long
long trailer for next year's finale.

 

-Tells an intriguing story but falls short because of the 2 part
finale formula
- Flat and boring scenes
+JLaw and the other veteran actors' performance
+Visuals
- Shaky camera and unwatchable scenes

+ Propagandas
-Less interesting stuff shown

 

6.8/10