Blades of Glory | Teen Ink

Blades of Glory

By anire_ka SILVER, New York City, New York
anire_ka SILVER, New York City, New York

What happens when two male figure skater rivals tie for the one gold medal? It leads to a fight-- a fight that bans them from male figure skating, forever. When skating prodigies and rivals Jimmy MacElroy (John Heder) and Chazz Michael Michaels (Will Ferrell) are forced to work together as the first male-male figure skating pair in history, they couldn't be more upset. Full of hilarious satire and slapstick comedy, Blades of Glory is a perfect movie to raise the spirits of adults and teens up when they're down.

In this comical movie, Jimmy MacElroy is a graceful, beautiful, precise skater who has been on the ice for as long as he could remember. Chazz Michael Michaels is a tough, improvisational sex addict who repeatedly calls himself a "Lone Wolf." Three and a half years after they're banned, Jimmy finds a very clever loophole in the rules. He won't be able to compete in men's singles figure skating, but he can compete in pairs figure skating, if he finds a partner to skate with. Unfortunately, he ends up being with . Additionally, sibling pair skaters Stranz and Fairchild VanWaldenberg (Will Arnett and Amy Poehler) continuously try to sabotage them through their sister, Katie (Jenna Fischer), Jimmy's love interest. The actors do a great job in making lovable and hated characters.

It is not just the comedy in Blades of Glory that create a wonderful movie. The costume designer, Julie Weiss, creates an exciting scene with bold, eccentric, and/or beautiful outfits inspired by things such as fire and ice, peacocks, cowboys, and technology. Pretty and stimulating music such as Con Te Partiró, I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, and Flash's Theme accompany the skating. Lastly, suspense is expertly added throughout the movie, and leaves the audience wondering, "Will Jimmy and Chazz pull off the fatal Iron Lotus skating stunt?" Or, "Will Katie and Jimmy get together?"

Blades of Glory is definitely not for young children. It features many awkward breast and crotch grabs, sexual references, and obscenities. It also includes a brief, very fake, blurry, bloody scene. However, though it is inappropriate for children, teenagers and adults enjoy its awkward and hilarious comedy, and the beautiful skating scenes. Although not many would say that the film is a piece of art worthy of an academy award, it serves its purpose of bringing smiles and laughter to the faces of everyone who watches it. Directors Josh Gordan and Will Speck did an amazing job creating a movie through which it is hard to keep a straight face.

Blades of Glory succeeds due to the talents of many cast and crew members. Ferrell won the 2007 Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actor: Comedy for Blades of Glory. The movie also won the BMI Film Music Award in 2007. In 2008, Julie Weiss, the movie’s costume designer, won the Costume Designers Guild Award for Excellence in Costume Design for a Contemporary Film. As Chazz Michael Michaels would say, Blades of Glory “is figure skating! Boom!”