Big Hero 6 | Teen Ink

Big Hero 6

December 15, 2014
By eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

True to it's title, "Big Hero 6" is certainly as big as its name mentions it to be. Taking place in a futuristic and beautifully designed city, it shows friendship and suspenseful moments that help keep the plot moving. These are all shown well by describing a tale told by a 14 year old with his robot and four friends, a slightly eccentric cast, but nonetheless perfect for these elements.


"Big Hero 6" tells the story in the fictional and futuristic setting of San Fransokyo in the year of 2032, where most of the events take place. Based off of a Marvel Comic series with the same name, the movie is a superhero film with many comedic elements. After Hiro Hamada, the main character, discovers he wants to attend his older brother's school in order to learn science and technology, the plot quickly unfolds as many sudden events happen, causing everything to change. Because they occurred, they influence all the characters, as well as their lives from there on.


Hiro Hamada, a 14 year old boy, is incredibly intelligent and takes liking to the topic of robotics. Thinking that he doesn't need to go to college because of this, he is slightly prideful of himself but very appreciative and soft towards his brother. His sibling, Tadashi Hamada, is a very supporting, warmhearted figure in his life. He convinces Hiro to go to his school, which leads him to meet his friends which would become his own almost immediately- GoGo Tomago, a rather stoic, independent girl who is very athletic; Fred, an eccentric, laid-back person who is a fan of numerous interests; Wasabi, a young man who is well-organized and cautious about the group's actions; and Honey Lemon, a very outgoing, bubbly person who enjoys taking pictures of everything around her. After meeting them, Tadashi introduces Hiro to Baymax, a plush-like, soft white robot who was programmed to help those who were in need. Baymax is later on revealed to be one of the most important things in Hiro's life, and their relationship grows stronger as the story line progresses. Later on in the story, an antagonist is shown; a masked man, called Yokai, who has stolen one of Hiro's creations with seemingly bad intentions.


This movie, released on November 7, 2014, in the United States, was met with mostly positive reviews and earned $147,006,598 in the Box Office. It deserves these because of how well the film was made and all the positives about the story itself. Wonderfully animated, the whole movie had beautiful scenery depicting the land of San Fransokyo, combining the city with Japanese and futuristic elements. There is much diversity in all the characters' races, body types, and personalities, giving viewers more to relate to. Character development is visible in the story and the plot was well executed with many events occurring. Though it had a bit of a comedic tone to it, the movie had the ability to have its serious and emotional moments as well. However, at some parts, some events could be considered predictable, as well as somewhat rushed. Despite this, however, there were only a few moments where this occurred and the plot made viewers focus more on the story line than the cliches.


"Big Hero 6" is, overall, a heartwarming movie with beautiful characters and scenes that are worth seeing. Despite being targeted to a younger audience, it's clear that it is suitable for all ages and has a lot of effort put into it. Prepare for amazement by watching the screen as you learn what exactly makes the characters heroes.