Due Date | Teen Ink

Due Date

December 14, 2014
By Lucas Lovekin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Lucas Lovekin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Get ready for an extremely funny movie that has no plot whatsoever. Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifinakis star in this comedy by The Hangover director Todd Phillips that’s almost exactly like the 1976 film Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but without trains. For some reason, Phillips felt like nobody would notice the similarities. Due Date piles on the laughs until you want something else…and it just doesn’t come.

When trying to fly home from Atlanta to see his daughter’s birth, Peter Highman (Robert Downey Jr.), bumps into wannabe Hollywood actor, Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifinakis). After misusing the words “terrorist” and “bomb,” the two get put on the No Fly List. Stranded in Atlanta with no wallet, ID, or any means of transportation, Peter accepts Ethan’s offer to drive across the country to Los Angeles.


There are some scenes in this film that just don’t make any sense. An example of this is when Peter goes to his friend Darryl’s (Jamie Foxx) house and he starts to think that maybe it’s him who fathered his wife’s child, due to some pictures he has with Peter’s wife. This conflict seems to get thrown away after a few minutes, though. Peter and Ethan don’t care about what ends up happening with Darryl and Peter’s wife, which makes it hard for you to care.


It’s at about that point in the movie where things begin to get dull. Peter and Ethan are friends now, and without their constant arguments, the funny scenes never come. The rest of the ride doesn’t feel anywhere near as fun as it was before. The entire time you’ll want Peter and Ethan to become friends, but when it happens, it disappoints.