Catching Fire | Teen Ink

Catching Fire

December 14, 2014
By phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
15 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Boom! The sound of the cannon echoes from tree to tree. Another person is dead. You sit quietly; anticipating what can possibly come next. Once again, the movie business invites the audience back into the arena for the breathtaking sequel to The Hunger Games: the one and only Catching Fire. When watching the movie, everyone gasps at every twist and smiles at all the turns. People from all over watch this movie, satisfying their hunger for action and drama.

Francis Lawrence's Catching Fire is a work of art. It is a movie in The Hunger Games trilogy, and based on well-known novel by Suzanne Collins. In the movie, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), a poor teenage girl, is among the Victors are sent back into the deadly arena for the second time. Meanwhile, she unwillingly starts rebellions throughout the dystopian nation of Panem. Yet Katniss still battles her inner self, trying to decide who to trust, and who the real enemy is.

Katniss, the protagonist, takes care of her mother and sister Prim, Willow Shields, her only two family members left, and also tries to help her District. Many other supporting actors played an important role in the movie. One example includes the actor Josh Hutcherson, as he perfectly depicted the fair-hearted and loveable Peeta Mellark. Other important characters include Katniss’s and Peeta's mentor, Haymitch, where the famous actor Woody Harrelson flawlessly depicts the troubled and drunken man. Elizabeth Banks merged right in with her character, Effie Trinket amazingly. She portrayed the stuck-up, Capitol, fashionista exactly, right to the core.

By far, one of the most superb aspects of this movie is all the sets and scenery. From the very first second, the audience is introduced to a beautiful forest in the winter. Snow blankets the ground, surrounded by an infinite amount of trees. Also, a crystal lake and river adds to the already convincing effect. Throughout the rest of the movie, the backgrounds maintain their fulfilling beauty. When the first Capitol appeared, the skyline was breathtaking, making everyone feel as though it was real.

The movie also has exquisite acting. From the start, emotions are present in Katniss’s face as she stares into the distance. Director Francis Lawrence called it the famous “thousand-yard stare.” With each person fulfilling their role perfectly, the audience falls right into the plotline. However, many people say that the ending was too ambiguous. They insist that it left them hanging, wondering what just happened. But fans still eagerly rush to watch the recently released sequel that follows this movie: The Mockingjay Part 1.

Catching Fire definitely soared and keeps rising through the sky, from the first day it launched. The fantastic movie won all sorts of awards, such as the, excellence in fantasy film, best thriller, and even won a Hollywood Film award from all over the U.S. With the actors working hard for 14 hours a day, the movie was destined to be great. So the next time you watch it, be careful not to burn yourself, for the movie is on fire!