Pitch Perfect | Teen Ink

Pitch Perfect

By annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

The room is dark except for the spotlights shining on the stage. There’s no music, but there are ten girls with amazing voices. Jason Moore’s incredible movie, Pitch Perfect, takes a new spin on singing. This breathtaking movie will have you falling off your seat laughing but at the same time, bring you to tears.

Pitch Perfect is a movie that’s about girls who sing a cappella at Barden University. These ten girls make up the Barden Bellas. Told from Beca’s point of view, the movie focuses on the Bellas’ attempt to make it back to finals. The conflicts between the girls and their arch enemies, the Treblemakers, another a cappella group at Barden University, create a dramatic, but humorous plot.

On top of a good narrative, the characters are also very important. Beca Mitchell (Anna Kendrick) is a laid-back girl that just wants to create music. Jesse Swanson (Skylar Astin) is the easygoing guy best friend of Beca. He just wants to enjoy his college experience and help Beca with her problems. Aubrey Posen (Anna Camp) is the uptight leader of the Bellas. She has a grudge against Beca and their tense relationship causes problems in the movie. These characters and their unique personalities create a fantastic storyline.

Pitch Perfect is an excellent example of a romantic comedy. Though some viewers might feel that the plot is a cliché because there’s singing, the best part of Pitch Perfect is the setup of the whole movie. All the songs and the quality of the singing make the movie even more spectacular. It’s unpredictable and full of surprises. It leaves the viewer with an urge to laugh and cry at the same time. Pitch Perfect involves a lot of action and the movie flows really well. The plot may seem overused but there are things that I didn’t expect to happen and I was looking forward to the resolution. Even though the cliff hanger at the end is nerve-wracking, the audience can create their own conclusions.

Pitch Perfect left me with mixed emotions that made me love the movie more. The many nominations and awards, such as the Teen Choice Awards, show how successful this movie was. This comedy mixed with romance is just right for teenagers and adults. With all the drama and music at the end, you’ll feel like you were just “pitch slapped.”